The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Band In A Box 2019

753 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  dgreen 
#1 ·
I’ve been curious about the latest version of BIAB, as it has a VST plugin version that works with just about any DAW. I’m quite liking it so far, since I can drag & drop MIDI files into my project then assign better quality sounds to them. I’m looking at creating more backing tracks for myself for senior’s homes and restaurant gigs.

#4 ·
I have been giving this serious consideration for making backing tracks. I just noodle along at home. This version now works with 64bit computers and as a DAW plugin. Ten years ago this program may have been considered a joke, but it is evolving and becoming a serious piece of software

#5 ·
I was messing around with the DAW plugin today. The RealDrums tracks sound pretty good, and you can drag the audio into the arrangement quite easily. You can also drag the MIDI in, and use whatever drum sounds you have available. I can also sub in pre-recorded MIDI files from Addictive Drums, and the DAW matches the tempi.

For me, the best part is the piano comping. Again, I just drag the MIDI files in and re-assign a sound I like. It means I can write intros and endings, then generate comping from the chord changes, so I don't have to notate every damn thing in my piano charts. It's going to save a lot of prep time for me.

#7 ·
I get it. I’d rather play with other musicians. For these small gigs, it’s practically a necessity these days.
I know what you mean, and I’m sorry if my post was a bit insulting (it could be perceived that way). Any technology can be used tastefully in the right hands.

I remember seeing the Kim Mitchell Band back around Akimbo Alobo and hearing the keyboard tracks but seeing no keyboard player.

My thoughts at the time (and to some extent now) were that I would have preferred to hear the music without the keyboards.

But, I may actually grab something like the unit you’re talking about, just to keep my improv skills a little sharp.

#8 ·
I have been using BIAB since 2010, now running the 2015 version for the past few years, loaded with the (everything pac). For solo gigs I use it extensively as I record all my backing tracks using the real drum files. Both songs I posted recently on the forum use only BIAB drums. I do record live drums as well in my studio and have tried many mic applications, but still come back to BIAB as I just can't match that audio quality and they are the most realistic drums to my ears.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.