The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ya, you read that right! The shit just hit the fan. So the other guitar player who does some lead lines and solos has torn his Achilles tendon and can't possibly make it to rehearsal on Friday. He plays the solo to Comfortably numb(maybe I can half ass it by Friday) and the 2nd solo in Knocking on Heaven's door(no problem there) plus 2 other brand new songs. The singer has designated me to learn all of this by Friday for rehearsal because we are recording. Who made him god? I have to work all weekend because of crap that didn't get done and I can't dedicate a lot of practice time because of my work load this up coming week not to mention the usual stuff at home. The singer texted me at 12:30 last night and said it's all on my shoulders now. I haven't slept all night due to stress and worry. I might be able to pull it off half assed but not even 50%. Too much too learn. I can't afford to burn a bridge with this singer. There just too damned hard to find, a good one at least. Oh ya, did I mention the other guitar player has been playing for 27 years compared to my 6.

It's like he put the boots to me. Shit, I keep everything and everyone's schedules together, book everything an manage whatever else needs to be done. I am the one putting out adds out on various sites looking for people. I am the glue that holds it all together. I really want to tell this singer to bite me but I won't.

Any advice? This is already taking a toll on me mentally as well as physically in less than 24 hours.

I am so fed up with this guy always calling the shots. I let him because I don't want to lose him. He also occasionally says he's coming to rehearsal and last minute says he can't come.

I have already tried to replace him but the flakes on the adds that I have posted either don't show, are too young or aren't compatible with the set list.

This really sucks.

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hand him a guitar and tell him he has to learn them, or....tell him you've got 10 new songs he's got get done asap.
He does play acoustic. I am seriously going to tell him he has to learn the solos. Thanks, problem solved! I will put the onus back on him. He's going to flip right out but I don't care!

G

·
If I were in your situation, I'd improvise the solos using what licks I do know of the specific songs.
'That'll have to do for now. I'll try to learn to play it accurately when I have the time to'.

·
Premium Member
26,949 Posts
If people want the solo note for note, they can always put the record on. There's nothing wrong with putting your own stamp on the solo, with as much soul as you can fit into your own chops. In fact, that might be less of a problem than trying to nail someone else's solo and going all Nick Jonas in the middle of it. In other words, the challenge is not the solo; it's the unrealistic expectations.

And realistically, it's one song at one gig. Just exactly how much is that going to alter the course of western civilization?

·
Registered
10,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You say the other guitarist has torn his achilles tendon and can't possibly make it to rehearsal on Friday. Why not try to address that issue? Can the guy walk? Can he walk with a cane? Crutches? Can he get into a cab? Can he play sitting down?
Nope he can't walk and is on sick leave from work. He is a my friend, a valuable member of the band, responsible and always on time. I would never do that to him. He lives far away from the studio and to take a cab might cost him $100 or more. I know because in my young and stupid days I took a cab from downtown to where I live and it cost me just short of $110. He lives not too far away from me.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
Yeah, recording delayed until the right person is ready. Done, unless you've paid a big booking fee or something.

Also, quit letting the singer push you around. If he walks so what. Which is more stressfull for you, only you can decide - being without a singer or being with an asshole. I guess you've already answered that, but bitching about it isn't helping lol

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
In the long run you will find it is not as big an issue as you thought it was. I know it's easy to say but being over anxious about it, Lola, is not going to help. Just do your best and you will find out that it's not really too bad at all. Tell him you will do you best and explain that you only have X amount of time because of other obligations. Then ask him if he has any other ideas that could help. That nicely puts the onus back on him and lets him know you are not making excuses but this is the reality of the situation.

Also, could you put the recording off for another week?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Your singer sounds like an asshat...unless he is just yanking your chain.
It's a rehearsal not a performance or real recording session right ?
What is he realistically going to do if you don't "nail it" ?

If he was/is serious I'd have half a mind to skip the night too,then there would be no guitar players.

Just go and play,wing it,I never cared for note for note solo copies anyways,I can hear those on the album....make it your own.

This is supposed to be fun right ?It's not Massy Hall and studio execs.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
I have been trying SO hard and no luck so far!
Life is too short to waste time with assholes. Tell him to walk, and record whatever you have as instrumentals. Wing the solos. Like someone else said, it's supposed to be fun.

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
There should be a level playing field between band members when it comes to such things. Equal his demands with those of your own and maybe a compromise can be reached. As tempting as handing him his ass on a pink slip may be, it won't solve anything in the short term.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but how does tearing an achilles tendon stop one from playing guitar? Especially if just practise or recording (vs live); just sit down and go.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.