The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gibson is using this granadillo wood on some of there 2018 fret boards like the Firebird etc.

Anyone have an experience with it pro / contra.

I played a 339 Studio with baked maple and didn't like the feel of that.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
Wonder when they're going to get to baked armadillo.

Think of the money they'll save on frets.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
It’s another from the Dalbergia genus. Lighter in colour than rosewood, so they bake it darker, I guess. It is supposed to be a good rosewood alternative, slightly harder so gives a faster response (in acoustics). For a fretboard, I’m sure it works just as well as rosewood.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2011 explorer has granadillo, I'm no pro level guitar player by any means, nor have I played many "top of the line guitars" but I have not had an issue with mine. It plays and feels nice.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Tried both boards tonight. 2015 FB tobacco and 2018 FB Cherry Burst. The neck material feels about the same but I didn’t spend much time on the 2018 bcs I much preferred the small frets and thicker neck on the 2015. Like the sound but the neck seems maybe a flatter radius than what I’m used to. Although playing it for half an hour through my own amp and it’s coming along pretty good. This is a very long guitar even though the scale length is regular Gibson. Banjo tuners are kinda weird but work well enough. Might put a black pick guard on it. Plastic 2015 case looks like a coffin.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wondered about Grenadillo myself tonight. Looking up that new spendy LP and stumbled on the new Explorer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts