The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own or have any experience with the Classic Player Baja Telecaster? Reading good things about them and would like to play one but L&M doesn't seem to have many or any stores that have them in stock.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
They are spectacular bang for the buck. The neck is a dead ringer for a Ltd. Ed. CS Esquire I stupidly traded to @Todd68 a few years ago - soft V to a chunky C, beefier than an Am Std but not as huge as a NoCaster - 9.5"'radius & tall frets.

CS Broadcaster & Twisted Tele pups are excellent. 4-way switch is great: N+B in series/in phase = a giant humbucker, then push in the S-1 switch for a reasonable hand drawn facsimilie of Peter Green (in series/out of phase). The other S-1 tones are meh, but 5 usable positions from a Tele is a win IMO.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I echo what Roryfan posted -- I have one and consider it better (esp. the neck) than a 52 RI. FYI, there is some inconsistency in the Broadcaster/TT pickups; mine are not hum cancelling (i.e., with one RWRP), but I've seen others that are... Not sure why that's the case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw one at the Bloor L&M on Saturday.
Yes, I called the store in Cambridge and that's what they said. Apparently that one is the only Baja in Ontario. There is a couple out east but I am wondering why more stores do not carry them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. You're welcome to come over & check mine out one evening.
Thanks for the offer. I am almost afraid that I will like it too much and be ordering one. I really shouldn't be buying another guitar right now. But well..stranger thing have happened.:cool:

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Owned one, sold to a cool fellow member here on the forums. Fantastic build quality/fit &finish. The chunky neck on them (V to C shape) with the medium jumbo frets was probably my favourite feature. I wasn't too fond of the 4-way switch with the S1, I actually considered to turn it into an Esquire at one point.

If one was in the market for a Tele with a nice chunky neck, can't really beat the Baja for the price.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How would it compare to a Telecaster mim standard. That is what I have now.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I bought the Baja off of Davidian. Thanks again. I really like the Baja. Sound, playability and finish are all top notch. My only complaint is that the saddles don't have grooves in them. That's all fine and dandy if you're playing cowboy chords all day. But if you have a wide vibrato and do big bends it can be problematic.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Owned one, sold to a cool fellow member here on the forums. Fantastic build quality/fit &finish. The chunky neck on them (V to C shape) with the medium jumbo frets was probably my favourite feature. I wasn't too fond of the 4-way switch with the S1, I actually considered to turn it into an Esquire at one point.

If one was in the market for a Tele with a nice chunky neck, can't really beat the Baja for the price.
I had a Les Paul with Jimmy Page wiring & my favourite tone was both pickups split, in series/in phase, which is the same thing that you get from a 4-way switch in a Tele. I could live without the S-1 as the only useful tone when it's engaged is the in series/out of phase one I mentioned above, but the 4-way is quickly becoming a go to.

How would it compare to a Telecaster mim standard. That is what I have now.
Fatter neck, better pickups, brass saddles. Quality wise I would put this guitar on par with a couple of other higher-end MIM guitars I used to own (a Road Worn Tele & Robert Cray Strat). Playability is great, mind you I'm still in honeymoon mode about the neck.

·
Registered
10,478 Posts
Now that I've researched Baja Tele's a bit, the pickup switching options on it are things I could totally use, especially turning the neck pickup into a humbucker.

GAS :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts