The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
For some reason I have this weird buzzing in my flying v that might be a bad ground. all my solder joints are very nice and its still buzzing. Someone in another forum said it may not be a bad ground. Ive played it through all 3 of my amps and they all buzz. My tele doesn't buzz so its just this guitar.
Any input is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
very nice solder joints are great IF they are used in the right places...
I'm going to assume that your pickups are working as they should BUT the sound has a buzz...

There are 3 places where the ground wire needs to be grounded.

First, your input jack has a ground.
Second ...your pickup or pickups have a ground wire.
Third ..your bridge will usually have a ground wire attached to it that needs to make good contact with the bridge and also be grounded.

Start with the obvious and make sure all these 3 areas have proper grounding wires.
thats what I would do.
G.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
very nice solder joints are great IF they are used in the right places...
I'm going to assume that your pickups are working as they should BUT the sound has a buzz...

There are 3 places where the ground wire needs to be grounded.

First, your input jack has a ground.
Second ...your pickup or pickups have a ground wire.
Third ..your bridge will usually have a ground wire attached to it that needs to make good contact with the bridge and also be grounded.

Start with the obvious and make sure all these 3 areas have proper grounding wires.
thats what I would do.
G.
Yep, all three of those are connected. And like i said before, I made sure to do them nicely. Is it possible the bridge itself isn't grounded or something? The wire is definitely touching it

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I would concentrate on the pickups....
I dont know what colour coding the wires are BUT
its not that difficult to mix things up and wire a hot to ground and vice versa on a pickup

G.

·
Premium Member
17,616 Posts
Welcome to the GC Forum!
Nice to see another 'forumite' from Kitchener

I'm assuming that you used the same cable on both the 'V' and the 'Tele' when testing?

Does the buzzing decrease when you touch the strings?

Did the buzzing just start recently?

Is the buzzing intermittent?

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to the GC Forum!
Nice to see another 'forumite' from Kitchener

I'm assuming that you used the same cable on both the 'V' and the 'Tele' when testing?

Does the buzzing decrease when you touch the strings?

Did the buzzing just start recently?

Is the buzzing intermittent?

Cheers

Dave
Yes same cable. Only buzz' on V. The buzz gets ever so slightly quieter when i touch any of the electronics. Started about a month ago. Been on and off trying to fix it for that long. The buzzing has no real pattern. Its the same noise constantly its i guess its not "intermittent"

·
Premium Member
17,616 Posts
Started about a month ago.
So it started completely "out of the blue"?

No soldering or work on the electronics work was done just before it started buzzing?

Do you know how to do a private conversation in this Forum? I would be happy to have a look at your guitar to see if I can help if you want to contact me. No charge. I do this kind of basic guitar wiring as a hobby.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it started completely "out of the blue"?

No soldering or work on the electronics work was done just before it started buzzing?

Do you know how to do a private conversation in this Forum? I would be happy to have a look at your guitar to see if I can help if you want to contact me. No charge. I do this kind of basic guitar wiring as a hobby.
Sent you a pm

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Yep, all three of those are connected. And like i said before, I made sure to do them nicely. Is it possible the bridge itself isn't grounded or something? The wire is definitely touching it
Not just those 3. For example, those things will be grounded to a pot casing - are all the pots grounded. This is not usually done with a wire but by having a sheet (sometimes just film) of metal on the inside of the cavity so that the mount grounds the pot case.. That's what Gibson usually (i.e. not always) does. Sometiems there may be a ground buss wire connecting all the pot casings to a ground point.

Doing them nicely ensures nothing. Grab a multimeter and check continuity from bridge and pots (where pups are attached) to the sleeve of the output jack. That'll tell you what's up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not just those 3. For example, those things will be grounded to a pot casing - are all the pots grounded. This is not usually done with a wire but by having a sheet (sometimes just film) of metal on the inside of the cavity so that the mount grounds the pot case.. That's what Gibson usually (i.e. not always) does. Sometiems there may be a ground buss wire connecting all the pot casings to a ground point.

Doing them nicely ensures nothing. Grab a multimeter and check continuity from bridge and pots (where pups are attached) to the sleeve of the output jack. That'll tell you what's up.
Theres no film on the inside of the guard where the pots are. I thought that was only needed for single coils? These are humbuckers in case I never mentioned that. Also, how exactly can I use my multi meter? I didnt understand

·
Premium Member
3,210 Posts
Theres no film on the inside of the guard where the pots are. I thought that was only needed for single coils? These are humbuckers in case I never mentioned that. Also, how exactly can I use my multi meter? I didnt understand
Set the MM to DC resistence, minimum setting (sometimes there's a continuity alarm setting, i.e. make a noise if R < 1 ohm). Use that alarm setting, 1 lead always at jack sleeve and check for the noise at all pot cases and the bridge.

If there's no metal film on the inside of the guard then there should be a ground buss wire connecting all the pot casings to the jack sleeve. The film serves 2 purposes: 1 it's a ground plane connecting all the pots' casings to ground and 2 sheilding, which yes is not as vital with humbuckers, but the signal is not balanced and can therefore still pick up interference. For both of those purposes to there will need to be a wire from that film to a ground point (jack sleeve) - often this is a loose wire that sits on the cavity lip and makes contact with the film when you screw the pickguard down, but there are other ways this can be done as well (such as the sheilding can used in older Gibsons).

This pic shows the sheilding can as well as the ground buss wire conecting all 3 pots to jack sleeve:

This one also appears to have no film on the inside of the pickguard. I would recommend adding some (otherwise the can in the cavity is tit useless (I see no ground connection - touching the added film on the pickguard would ground it through a pot, shielding the electronics rather effectivelty).

When there's film you don't need the buss wire connecting all the pots, just a shorter wire from any single pot (like the closest one) to the jack sleeve (or none at all if the jack, like pictured above, is on the pickguard and therefore also connected to the metal film).

Reactions: greco

·
Premium Member
17,616 Posts
This is a guess and long shot.

If this looks like the wiring in your guitar, check that the shield/braid (which is the ground) of the pickup wire is not touching the hot (red) on the volume pot.

The area I'm talking about is inside the brown "circle" in the diagram.
wiringV50sInd.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Set the MM to DC resistence, minimum setting (sometimes there's a continuity alarm setting, i.e. make a noise if R < 1 ohm). Use that alarm setting, 1 lead always at jack sleeve and check for the noise at all pot cases and the bridge.

If there's no metal film on the inside of the guard then there should be a ground buss wire connecting all the pot casings to the jack sleeve. The film serves 2 purposes: 1 it's a ground plane connecting all the pots' casings to ground and 2 sheilding, which yes is not as vital with humbuckers, but the signal is not balanced and can therefore still pick up interference. For both of those purposes to there will need to be a wire from that film to a ground point (jack sleeve) - often this is a loose wire that sits on the cavity lip and makes contact with the film when you screw the pickguard down, but there are other ways this can be done as well (such as the sheilding can used in older Gibsons).

This pic shows the sheilding can as well as the ground buss wire conecting all 3 pots to jack sleeve:

This one also appears to have no film on the inside of the pickguard. I would recommend adding some (otherwise the can in the cavity is tit useless (I see no ground connection - touching the added film on the pickguard would ground it through a pot, shielding the electronics rather effectivelty).

When there's film you don't need the buss wire connecting all the pots, just a shorter wire from any single pot (like the closest one) to the jack sleeve (or none at all if the jack, like pictured above, is on the pickguard and therefore also connected to the metal film).
I have a buss wire touching my bridge its still buzzing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts