The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have 1972 fender mustang comp bass i bought new,i'm considering replacing the stock bridge with a bad ass 2 bridge.Anyone have any expirience with the diff these bridges make?(i know the bass is vintage)but the original bridge is gross,........thanks

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I myself have never used one but I know a lot of people swear by them. Basically any higher mass bridge to replace the cheap bent tin bridges on Fenders is a step in the right direction. Higher mass=better sustain, better balance, a little beefier tone etc...

IIRC, the Badass is a direct replacement on Fender jazz & P basses. I myself use Gotoh 201's, which need a couple holes drilled in different spots, but the bridge itself covers the old holes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bad ass bridge

Hey thanks james,only problem i have is the mustang has less string spacing than a prec/jazz......my freind at the music store seems to think he can get one special for the mustang.......we'll see

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the badass come with ungrooves saddles, so if your string spacing is tighter, maybe you can groove the saddles to have it right....

·
Registered
84 Posts
be careful - the Bad Ass II has ungrooved saddles, but the Bad Ass III comes with grooved saddles already - make sure of the model before buying...

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
272 Posts
james on bass said:
I myself have never used one but I know a lot of people swear by them. Basically any higher mass bridge to replace the cheap bent tin bridges on Fenders is a step in the right direction. Higher mass=better sustain, better balance, a little beefier tone etc...

IIRC, the Badass is a direct replacement on Fender jazz & P basses. I myself use Gotoh 201's, which need a couple holes drilled in different spots, but the bridge itself covers the old holes.
Actually, the Badass ISN'T a direct replacement on a Fender - the Badass II is. IIRC the Badass is more for Gibson-type basses - on a Fender the action will be too high unless you route it into the body. As for the correct one for a Mustang, I'm not quite sure. I think a Schaller might work since they're pretty adjustable and I think the Mustang's string spacing is about 17.5mm which is about as close as you can make ANY bridge's spacing. I took a quick look around TalkBass and there didn't seem to be much info. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bad ass

well the schaller looks like the best one in terms of sizing but new holes must be drilled,think i'll avoid changing the ole bass is getting up there in value.........thanks to all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts