The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Perhaps your answer presents itself.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
^ I like that amp, but at $850, it's way out of budget.

Used Quilters can be found on Reverb as a portable backup. Loud, and they take pedals well.
Hmm, those amps are all SS near as I can tell.

That $400 Traynor sold already, so quick... Will keep trying though. I kind of like that amp unless something better comes along.

Criteria
  1. All tube head, no combos
  2. Under CDN$500, I can push that to $650 if it's really worth it
  3. Clean is fine, no gain necessary
  4. Not from China/Vietnam

·
Registered
604 Posts
My main amp is a Mesa Express 550+. I know you said that you're partial to all tube and so was I but after trying out the Katana 100 head more than just a back up it has become my second go to amp not just for electric but for acoustic as well.

Musical instrument Window Microphone Violin family Guitar

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Yes, and you Beachbum specifically, were an influence for me buying the Katana 100 head (I remember that pic above or similar that got me thinking about it). Maybe you don't remember our correspondence of me asking you about it.

My unshakable verdict: The Katana 100 is a good amp loud, no complaints. But its staggering loss of resonant tone when playing at reduced volumes was astonishing for me, it was like a different amp entirely - just my opinion. I sold it at a $50 loss n less than 3 months, no regrets.

Output device Audio equipment Gadget Electronic instrument Gas

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes, and you Beachbum specifically, were an influence for me buying the Katana 100 head (I remember that pic above or similar that got me thinking about it). Maybe you don't remember our correspondence of me asking you about it.

My unshakable verdict: The Katana 100 is a good amp loud, no complaints. But its staggering loss of resonant tone when playing at reduced volumes was astonishing for me, it was like a different amp entirely - just my opinion. I sold it at a $50 loss n less than 3 months, no regrets.

View attachment 383357
Now that you bring it up I do remember that. Sorry you were disappointed but for whatever reason I wasn't and neither have been uncountable other Katana owners. Could be your style vs. mine or a myriad of other factors. I just don't know. For me the Katana is a killer at any volume. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Don't make this a political thread please, that's why that forum was deleted from Open Mic. Everyone has their own preferences. Take it offline into Conversations if you want to debate. Let's stick with tube driven backup amps in this thread please. Pretty please?

I may have a Traynor in a few days, we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't make this a political thread please, that's why that forum was deleted from Open Mic. Everyone has their own preferences. Take it offline into Conversations if you want to debate. Let's stick with tube driven backup amps in this thread please. Pretty please?

I may have a Traynor in a few days, we'll see how it goes.
Fair enough

41 - 59 of 59 Posts