The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
^ Hmm, I didn't think of that, thank you.

Well, you're seriously limiting your options for no good reason, unless you are willing to up your price limit....
.As part of my psychotherapy given to me by The Institute of Crazy, I've spent over 20 years purging my life of Chinese goods. I don't really want any used Chinese goods either. But I do know that I can't purge myself 100%, they'll always be some Chinese components in my gear.

I've started multiple threads on this forum requesting non-Chinese goods w/ a price limit and so far I've always gotten what I wanted. So it's out there. Mike & Blue's suggestion was most welcome. I've always had my eye on that Peavey 6505MH, but for a backup amp, it's a little pricey for sitting in the closet most of the time. Otherwise, it's a good suggestion

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I almost bought the EVH a few months ago but cancelled the deal before I bought my current amp. IMO, that's not a bad main amp, though its clean channel isn't much to champion. But around my neck of the woods, I've never seen one much less than $700 (used, not a whole lot less).

The back of a Tiny Terror:

Font Magenta Electric blue Label Rectangle

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
50 watt jcm 2000 or 900?
Whoa! Those amps are thousands of dollars, even used. I'm re-posting my criteria in case anyone missed it. So far, the Traynor Dark Horse looks to be a contender.
  1. All tube head, no combos
  2. Under CDN$500, I can push that to $650 if it's really worth it
  3. Clean is fine, no gain necessary
  4. Not from China/Vietnam

·
Registered
60 Posts
^ Hmm, I didn't think of that, thank you.

.As part of my psychotherapy given to me by The Institute of Crazy, I've spent over 20 years purging my life of Chinese goods. I don't really want any used Chinese goods either. But I do know that I can't purge myself 100%, they'll always be some Chinese components in my gear.

I've started multiple threads on this forum requesting non-Chinese goods w/ a price limit and so far I've always gotten what I wanted. So it's out there. Mike & Blue's suggestion was most welcome. I've always had my eye on that Peavey 6505MH, but for a backup amp, it's a little pricey for sitting in the closet most of the time. Otherwise, it's a good suggestion
I get it. I used to never care about this stuff and then, suddenly, it became important to me in the last few years. I dont think its about anyone being "wrong" for buying Chinese made goods, but its a conscious personal decision based on various things. For example, manufacturing quality, human rights violations, unfair/illegal competitive practices, geopolitical aggression and the fact that they're a direct competitive threat to the long-term viability of domestic/North American/Western companies and nations. Its one of the reasons why I've bought alot of Mesa products recently (hand-built in America using quality parts) and have tried to purchase Canadian products like Dr Scientist or Southampton Pedals. Thats not to say that products made in China arent capable of sounding or being good (I own an Ox Top Box which was manufactured in China and an Orange TH30) or that its possible to completely avoid ANY Chinese goods (particularly when it comes to technology), but I understand the desire to not support this to the best of your ability. However, that being said, this usually comes at the cost of a significant price increase to products and a budget of $500 brand new may limit the amount of options you have significantly that fall within your parameters.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
^ Completely agree, those are words to live by. But you'll see, I'll get my amp for $500, I know it.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't smoke, drink, do drugs or gamble. My vices are girls, cars and music. So I don't mind spending a little more to get what I want and avoid what I can.

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Whoa! Those amps are thousands of dollars, even used. I'm re-posting my criteria in case anyone missed it. So far, the Traynor Dark Horse looks to be a contender.
  1. All tube head, no combos
  3. Clean is fine, no gain necessary
  4. Not from China/Vietnam
I bought a used 900 for $650 and a used DSL 50 for $550 both in the past year.

There was a dsl 50 listed in Edmonton for $450 not to long ago and it sat for 4 months.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
^ Those are out of budget.

·
Premium Member
2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco 2016 Gibson Les Paul Special Plus LTD
400 Posts
You're sure you dont want chinese made?
Maybe the "girls" in you're life could provide some advice? 🤣

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
^ Those are out of budget.

I guess it depends on your degree of patience. I got mine in a straight trade for a Traynor YCV20WR I had paid $400 for.

You're sure you dont want chinese made?
Maybe the "girls" in you're life could provide some advice? 🤣
Human Wood Travel Adaptation Font

·
Premium Member
14,324 Posts
Traynor Dark Horse looks to be a contender.
15 watt, 6V6. Never played through one, but I hear that they're nice.

If you can find one used, I'd go with the Ironhorse (discontinued). 40/15 watt, EL34.
Simple, basic. Good clean headroom and a beautiful crunch (pure mode) when you want it.
Electronic instrument Audio equipment Computer hardware Multimedia Musical instrument

I'm on my second one, regrettably selling my first.

Here's one for $500 in Mississauga.
Traynor Ironhorse 40w Amp Head

Reactions: FatStrat2

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
^ Thanks for that, I will look into. Very modern looking amp - and it's Canadian!

OP should consider not buying US made as well, for the same reasons then, no?
Don't think it matters considering new (and most used) U.S. amps are priced out of my range for this particular project anyway.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
^ Thanks for that, I will look into. Very modern looking amp - and it's Canadian!

Don't think it matters considering new (and most used) U.S. amps are priced out of my range for this particular project anyway.
If you refuse to buy PRC based on the reasons given, North American and European manufacturers should be excluded as well. Car, guitar, computer - whatever you applied the PRC ban to. That would rule out Traynor.

If your rules only apply to China but not other countries with terrible track records (see: most if not all G7 countries lol) then I have to question the concept.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I don't give a damn who questions what, that doesn't' concern me (nor this thread). I'm not here to make friends or be political - I answered a question is all. I'm here to share & exchange information with good people who are smart about their gear. And there's plenty of them here.

Please keep it to the topic at hand: a backup amp

21 - 40 of 59 Posts