The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kinda shocked I have to create a thread for this. Most of the amp suggestions in other threads are either outdated or out of my criteria.

Recently I had a minor incident with my Mesa 5:25 amp head. The EQ sliders were dirty and cut my gain by 50%. I was so busy keeping the pots clean, I forgot that EQ sliders also need to be kept clean (duh). Anyway, emergency averted.

But it did remind me that I'm kind of stuck w/ the one amp and if I don't get my daily dose of tone, I'm liable to go postal. So this is for everyone's safety including my own (j/k). I do have 3 other amps but they are inaccessible at the moment. Besides, I don't want a combo and all 3 of them are that. I can't put a combo on the top shelf of a closet. This will be strictly backup and won't see much action, but it could be important if my Express is down for a long time. So I was thinking of a backup amp head in case my main Mesa blows a tube or whatnot.

What are you guys using? What do you suggest? I only have a few criteria but I'm pretty firm on them:
  1. All tube head, no combos
  2. Under CDN$500, I can push that to $650 if it's really worth it
  3. Clean is fine, no gain necessary
  4. Not from China/Vietnam
I've tried & admire sub-$300 amps like these below and would love to own one, except they violate point 4 (and some point 1). Appreciate any input.

Product Font Gas Cylinder Electronic component

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Tobacco 2016 Gibson Les Paul Special Plus LTD
381 Posts
JOYO bandTAMP American Hard Rock Guitar Head - 20 Watts $200 amazon.ca

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mike & Blue's Traynor suggestion is pretty good. Right now, L&M have them on sale new for exactly $500. If I can't bag the used $350 unit, I may go for the new one. The difference of $150 is what I put away in pizza a month. I'll skip (but only for 30 days).

Oh, and I don't mind Asian built, just not Commie country.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Damn whats wrong with chinese amps? 😳

Is there a thread here where i can get schooled on the evils of asian made amps and why theyre a poor choice for pro musicians? 🤷🏻‍♂️😂

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, here's some basic schooling.

I think Chinese quality has improved in a lot of places. And I appreciate it more & more. But I'm not giving a red cent (no pun intended) to a Communist country. There's Taiwan (for now), Korea, Indonesia, England, Germany, Canada, US - so no Chinese (or Vietnam) required.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts

I think Chinese quality has improved in a lot of places. And I appreciate it more & more. But I'm not giving a red cent (no pun intended) to a Communist country. There's Taiwan (for now), Korea, Indonesia, England, Germany, Canada, US - so no Chinese (or Vietnam) required.
So your just crazy then?

·
Registered
928 Posts

Well, you're seriously limiting your options for no good reason, unless you are willing to up your price limit. Most of the tubes in your amp are likely from China, as are most of the other components. Amp companies have to source parts from where they are made.

The only things that I can think of that could fit the bill are a Mini Rectifier or a Revv, or a Victory, with the caveat that you're not making it under $500.

Otherwise, I would say 6505MH.

And keep in mind, if you buy used, China doesn't see any of your money.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts