The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for some time now I've been ignoring my other guitars and pretty much having a love-in with the PRS CU22 I got last year. I always take two guitars to a gig but tended to leave the Strat home in favour of my LP. My poor Strat, who was my #1 for years, just wasn't very sexy anymore.

Then I brought her out Canada Day for an afternoon gig as my backup. She was nearby when we started the first set so I grabbed her thinking I'd put her down in favour of the PRS after a few songs.

Long story short - I fell back in love. She was comfortable, snappy, snarly, and throaty in all the right places and I was reminded about how much I loved the clean tone that I got from the second pickup position(bridge/middle).

The PRS made a lovely backdrop - my Strat is back!

Ma at Puddys_zpseqiyxemj.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
I have lost track of how many guitars that I have for one reason or another.

A Stratocaster is always in reach, always in tune, always ready to play. For me, it is ‘the ONE’, for 90% of my playing time. American, Mexican, Indonesian, Chinese, it doesn’t matter. There is something about a Strat infused in my DNA.

Glad you found her again.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
Been a Strat player for 40 years plus and went the Tele route 3 years ago because of the classic country gigs i play but when i need a rock and roll guitar, i grab my Strat and fall in love again with it. It feels right.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
It's sometimes easy to forget all the things a Strat has going for it. It's easy to make it sound good. No matter your style, it always finds a way to be ergonomically comfortable. Those features kind of make it easy to forget.... because you never have to fight with it, or have it digging into your ribs, reminding you it's there. We should all avoid our Strats periodically to remind ourselves what an amazing guitar they are when we pick them back up again.

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
My Strat was my #2 for almost 10 years. It stayed there as other guitars came and went. Then last year I just came to realize that it never went away and it really is my #1. The neck is perfect for my and. The strat body is fits me like a glove. I've got a strat pickguard cut for two humbucker with 1V/1T. It is next on the project list.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Strat was my #2 for almost 10 years. It stayed there as other guitars came and went. Then last year I just came to realize that it never went away and it really is my #1. The neck is perfect for my and. The strat body is fits me like a glove. I've got a strat pickguard cut for two humbucker with 1V/1T. It is next on the project list.
My first Strat was a "Lonestar" with a Pearly Gates HB in the bridge. For whatever reason I did not bond with that guitar and it prompted me to stay away from them until I got my white 2008 Am Std. It's stock except for the mint pickgaurd and there's just something about it that makes it perfect :cool:

·
Premium Member
13,026 Posts
I have imagined by perfect guitar as a strat that sounds like a Les Paul. You will have noticed the main things I like about the strat are its ergonomics. I had a set of noiseless pickups installed a year after I bought the guitar, which confirmed it as a keeper for me.

Reactions: cheezyridr

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I think my avatar says it all.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
It's sometimes easy to forget all the things a Strat has going for it. It's easy to make it sound good. No matter your style, it always finds a way to be ergonomically comfortable. Those features kind of make it easy to forget.... because you never have to fight with it, or have it digging into your ribs, reminding you it's there. We should all avoid our Strats periodically to remind ourselves what an amazing guitar they are when we pick them back up again.
Witch reminds me, after playing 4 gigs this past weekend, my ribs are a bit tender. I never thought that the Tele was the reason. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
I'll hold onto the PRS while you two get reacquainted.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I’ve been playing nothing but my two Music Man Silhouettes the past couple of years. Strat’s been shelved but this thread sparked my interest. Strat was my main ax for a long time, too. I’ll break it out when I get home. Thanks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tell us what you think....
In a nutshell:

What an excellent guitar!

Maple fingerboard as opposed to both the Silhouettes which are rosewood. The sound is more transparent on the Strat. A little clearer. It’s an SSS which makes it better balanced between the toggle positions.

Can’t say either is better than the other. All have something distinctive to say. Glad I read this thread. I’ll definitely be playing my Strat again, now. But I’ve been pretty much consumed with this one lately:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
There's a reason why they're so popular. I played mostly Gibson for years but started playing Strats about 20 years ago, and it's my preference now. Comfortable, versatile, stays in tune great even with a floating trem, and they sound great. What more do you want?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts