The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking up info for the Calgary Guitar Show--they had a link to Axe closing the Calgary store as they have been sponsors for the previous shows. (Closing is set for May 31, 2018--so not right away, but soon enough)
I have to say one--it is sad when a brick & mortar store closes.
(Unless they were pretty much useless--but then it is sad they were useless)

I can't say I'm surprised--the last few times I've been in there it has given off a vibe that it is a store moving towards closing.

The location isn't the greatest--unless you are coming from south or east of ht store--although there's a nearby intersection that would help from the other directions.

The link is to a Facebook page--but you should be able to view this without joining Facebook--I am not on Facebook, but I can see it.
They say the Edmonton Store & webstore will remain in business.

The news about Brian Cymabaluk is the worst part of all this though.
Certainly hope his battle goes well, and prayers for him & his family--and also for the employees of Axe.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I thought they were moving maintly to online sales? Don't they still have one in Edmonton?

They had a good selection of intermediate guitars there, and the best selection of more hardrock/metal guitars in the area.

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts
I thought they were moving maintly to online sales? Don't they still have one in Edmonton?

They had a good selection of intermediate guitars there, and the best selection of more hardrock/metal guitars in the area.
The Edmonton store is alive & well. I was in there about a week ago, still loads of stock and lots of good stuff.

I've been noticing that Axe has a lot of stuff for sale through amazon.ca, all free shipping even without prime.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've had bad service in the past at the Edmonton store. Usually makes me go to L&M.

However I might be convinced to give hem another chance, but it'd have to be something really sepcial

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The article & me comment indicate the Edmonton store & online store will both still exist.
but the Calgary Store has shown signs of decline--now I kind of understand that more.

·
Registered
543 Posts
When it was first announced a few weeks ago, they basically just said that given the Calgary economy, they just don't see a long term path to profitability and would not be renewing their lease when in came up in 2018. I'm not surprised, the Calgary store seemed to cater to the "metal" crowd and that group tends to be younger and with less disposable cash. Hate to see a small business go down nonetheless

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if I was looking for an ESP or a Dean--that's where I would head.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Super sad to hear about Brian.

I was a big fan of Axe back in the day, but service has started to go downhill. Lots of the staff moved over to L&M and if you're at Axe, L&M is just a stones throw away, so I always end up there now.

Plus it's nice to have sales people not motivated by commission and pushing product on you.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Looks like L&M bought Axe

Important Company Announcement***

Saying goodbye is always sad.

I want to say goodbye to our company, staff, suppliers and customers. It is never easy to part but I have to face reality. It’s time for me to move on.

For the last 38 years Axe has been my life, and an amazing life it’s been. I reflect in awe and great pride upon all of the great things we have achieved together. Axe’s success from a small garage with a dirt floor to what it is today, is a testimony to every single person in the company and to the greatest customers that we could ever hope for. I have an immense feeling of thanks and gratitude for all of those have supported my many crazy ideas over the years and my drive to make AXE the best.

Making the decision to sell the company to L&M as of May 31st was the hardest choice I have had to make. But I am confident that it’s the best choice, I have admiration for L&M as an organization and I leave knowing that you will all be in very good hands. Rick Shermack the Edmonton store manager and most of our terrific team which I consider family will be staying on to continue to help and serve you. The Calgary store will be closed as planned. Brian Cymbaluk, Sherry, my son Alan and I will be moving on.

Business will continue as normal Until L&M takes over on June 1st. New gear is flowing in everyday and we are working hard on ordering in all of the new 2018 stock that was just announced at the NAMM show. You will see a wave of Orange tag items in the Edmonton store that we want to move out as we know that L&M won’t want them, so a lot of great stuff is on sale right now for you to look over as I do my spring cleaning a little early this year.

I cannot say thanks enough to each and every one of you who supported us over the years, Axe would of never existed without you. I have come to know many of you not only as customers but also as friends and I will always smile as I reflect back upon the crazy events over the years like the street hockey, hot tubs & handing out beers and burgers in front of the Edmonton store during oilers playoffs. Customers coming in with cigars or jelly beans after they had a new child. The epic store opening events. The containers of Axe Jackets. The many amazing Axetremefest shows. The list of memories is long and great.

Beyond just growing the business over the years your support has allowed us to help hundreds of charity’s in the province which was something I considered extra special.

They say “A man is not old until regrets take the place of dreams”. So far I have very few regrets and as I am about to turn 60 I have decided it’s time to chase new dreams while I can.

I’m ready for a new challenge. I’ll be treating myself to a sabbatical, including some extended trips with my wife. Then we’ll see what is next 

As I leave. I want to personally thank you for all of your amazing support.

I was 22 years old when Axe was created, it’s hard to believe the years have passed so fast. Many of us have grown old together and it’s been fantastic to help you and even your kids as they grew. Yes some of us are getting old, I never thought that would happen.

However when I look back I see, a time I would of never imagined, a time well spent, a time with few regrets… a happy time!

It’s been a pleasure to work with everyone, I will miss you all dearly and I hope that our paths cross again in the future.

It’s a bittersweet moment for me. I have tears in my eyes as I think of what I am leaving but I know this has to be done to allow me to chase my dreams. As I often say “one life time is just not enough” so make sure to live life to its fullest.

I love you all and Thank you all for everything.

Brian Holowaychuk President Axe Music

Reactions: johnnyshaka

·
Premium Member
5,070 Posts
I bought way more stuff at Axe than at L&M.

Now that I think about it, I can't recall ever making a purchase at L&M. They always managed to piss me off somehow.

I suffer from "GOFS" (grumpy old fart syndrome)

·
Registered
14,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On one hand not surprising--but do they really need another Edmonton Location?

(Although there were rumbles that before L&M bought Mother's they tried to buy Axe...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts