The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Sounds pretty similar, but I’m listening on my phone’s speakers, so

Helix and Axe are pretty close these days. The main difference I keep hearing from users is that the reverb algos on the Axe units are much better, but I didn’t hear that here.

AX8 vs Helix comes down to how you’ll use it, IMO. I went with Helix because of the I/O, loops, exp pedal, etc. - made it one-stop shopping for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think it’s down to which one you like for ease of use or programming difficulty now. They are different, but can easily be programmed to sound identical (at least to most people)

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm itching for something new and after a couple of local guitar deals falling through and buying little odds and ends for myself has not filled the void.., I'm still looking. I played with someone this summer that brought an FX Ultra and I dug it, now the AX8 is 1200 bucks US and its somewhat tempting. I like the simplicity and size of it over the Line6, the tones seems to be a bit more natural and with editing software thats usable being available for both I'd like to try something out. It's tempting for sure.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I’d like you to try too! I’ve been looking for a long time at these new modelers but I can’t put down $1500 just to satisfy my curiosity. But if you do it... ;)

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’d like you to try too! I’ve been looking for a long time at these new modelers but I can’t put down $1500 just to satisfy my curiosity. But if you do it... ;)

Local guy listed on Kijiji yesterday but he's firm and the price is same as new.

I placed a wanted ad on TGP, let's see what happens.

·
Premium Member
17,365 Posts
Keep an eye on toronto kijiji/CL and get someone to ship?

My brother has a helix and he gets some great tones for what he does. One day I'll get him to make a "classic rock" patch to silence the haters haha. At this point it's about comfort dialling in the unit, as rick said.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,889 Posts
I have both actually. I posted a review a while back of my thoughts on the two.
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/helix-vs-ax8-review-comparison.80615/

In short, I prefer the raw amp/cab tones in the AX8. But Helix is WAY easier to program/use, especially onboard the unit with no computer connection. If you don't need all the extra IO and hardware features of Helix, Helix LT is about the same price as AX8.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have both actually. I posted a review a while back of my thoughts on the two.
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/helix-vs-ax8-review-comparison.80615/

In short, I prefer the raw amp/cab tones in the AX8. But Helix is WAY easier to program/use, especially onboard the unit with no computer connection. If you don't need all the extra IO and hardware features of Helix, Helix LT is about the same price as AX8.
Thanks for the feedback and link to the reviews, I think you laid it out well. I'm still not 100 percent convinced I need one but it would be nice to try and I'm leaning towards the AX8 just for the reason that I haven't ever had a chance. I should sleep on it one more night....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I switched to the Helix over a year ago and it definitely lives up to the hype. I had a Mesa Mark V combo with a matching 1x12 and Mesa Royal Atlantic with a 4x12, both sold now. I've played with other musicians who didn't even know that I was using a modeller. When it comes to the AX8 debate I think the Helix wins. At this point I've heard enough of the amp comparisons to say that they both sound great. But as far as I know the Helix wins for overdrives, Helix wins for ease use, Helix wins for UI, Helix wins for flexibility (routing, multiple amps). If you don't want to ever buy IRs or never need to tweak on the fly or if you want to model tones down to a component level, then yes, go AX8. But I can't see that being most players.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The debate is strong between these two and depending where you go to get the info both sides can build a winning argument.

·
Premium Member
17,365 Posts
The debate is strong between these two and depending where you go to get the info both sides can build a winning argument.
Yup. I really think at this stage in the modelling world, it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Hell, get a cheap laptop, power amp and VST's and surprise people haha.

I want either unit just to get my brothers tones...

·
Registered
325 Posts
It’s also a question of if you want an amp sim or pedalboard sim. If you’re gonna keep using your BJunior as your monitor that changes things too! As you know I use my cheap modeler as a pedal board partly because I like having that amp in the room sound right beside me when I play. I still use the in ears, but I’m not a huge fan of the mic’d amp sound in live playing. It’s the difference between listening to a recorded song loudly and listening to someone play that same song through an amp beside you. Some are ok with that- I haven’t yet decided for myself.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It’s also a question of if you want an amp sim or pedalboard sim. If you’re gonna keep using your BJunior as your monitor that changes things too! As you know I use my cheap modeler as a pedal board partly because I like having that amp in the room sound right beside me when I play. I still use the in ears, but I’m not a huge fan of the mic’d amp sound in live playing. It’s the difference between listening to a recorded song loudly and listening to someone play that same song through an amp beside you. Some are ok with that- I haven’t yet decided for myself.

No amps as monitors, no old gear, ..this would have to be something completely standalone for it to be worth it for me. Guitar to AX8 to FOH and in-ear monitors to hear myself, that would be the goal with something like this. I've tried the Helix a couple of times, but nothing in depth, and after playing with Kayla this summer I think it would be rad to try the AX8.

·
Registered
325 Posts
No amps as monitors, no old gear, ..this would have to be something completely standalone for it to be worth it for me. Guitar to AX8 to FOH and in-ear monitors to hear myself, that would be the goal with something like this. I've tried the Helix a couple of times, but nothing in depth, and after playing with Kayla this summer I think it would be rad to try the AX8.
When you get tired of it, I’ll buy it from you at half price! Kidding- Jenn would kill me even at half price. If you do go for this I’m really curious about whether you like it. Pointy double cutaway guitars and now digital modeling! Never thought I’d see the day.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you get tired of it, I’ll buy it from you at half price! Kidding- Jenn would kill me even at half price. If you do go for this I’m really curious about whether you like it. Pointy double cutaway guitars and now digital modeling! Never thought I’d see the day.

That seems to be the other beautiful thing about the Fractal gear, resale is great. We haven't seen what the Helix will do, will it be like the rest of the Line6 stuff? Imma make another offer to the local guy today, if that doesn't work I'm buying new.

The double cutaway PRS guy said no to my offer, it was a respectful conversation, but now I see him lowering the price slowly to what I offered him weeks ago. How do you list on the Kij and not expect to haggle a little bit? Weird.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've noticed with Canadians that people are far less concerned with market value than they are with how much they want to get out of whatever product they're selling. Many times with sellers I'll compile ads from all over (kijiji, CL, ebay, forums etc) as a means to demonstrate that the price I'm offering is reasonable in comparison to the same or similar product. Even when their price is totally out of whack, they refuse to budge. When I our dollar was better I could lay out how I could buy the same thing in the states and with shipping and conversion it would still be cheaper than their price and still nothing. Now I can't even do that. Really frustrating.

·
Registered
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've noticed with Canadians that people are far less concerned with market value than they are with how much they want to get out of whatever product they're selling. Many times with sellers I'll compile ads from all over (kijiji, CL, ebay, forums etc) as a means to demonstrate that the price I'm offering is reasonable in comparison to the same or similar product. Even when their price is totally out of whack, they refuse to budge. When I our dollar was better I could lay out how I could buy the same thing in the states and with shipping and conversion it would still be cheaper than their price and still nothing. Now I can't even do that. Really frustrating.
I used to be like that too but unless I really want it I just move along, I prepare myself for the possible rejection before going in with my offer. If it's a no, it wasn't meant to be. I'm going to be US bound a couple of times before the end of the year, I'll just pick one up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts