The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
her new song is supposedly a ripoff of some 70s song so she's basically being sued for plagiarism. I just saw a clip of the song followed by a clip of the "original" on CBC news last night. I was just wondering if anyone saw the same thing and had any opinions. Personally, I think her song is different enough from the older one and they should leave her alone. Yes there are some similarities but if we were always that picky, anyone playing a shuffle blues rhythm should go to jail.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I dunno. From what I saw only one line was the same, with a switched word. There's bound to be similarities in lyrics over a long period of time.

I also kinda doubt someone knowingly ripped them off. Stuff like that always gets discovered if you're popular and they know the risks if you get caught.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are rumours about her. Chantal Kreviazuk claimed in an interview Avril used one of her songs without credit or payment.
Last week Canadian songwriter Chantal Kreviazuk told 'Performing Songwriter' magazine that she will never again work withLavigne saying she will "cross the ethical line and no one says anything. That's why I'll never work with her again. I sent her a song two years ago called 'Contagious,' and I just saw the track listing to this album, and there's a song called 'Contagious' on it-and my name's not on it.'

C

·
0 Posts
"I sent her a song two years ago called 'Contagious,' and I just saw the track listing to this album, and there's a song called 'Contagious' on it-and my name's not on it.'"

Any evidence that they are the same song?!?!

copyright schmopyright... play music... play it loud! PLAY IT ALL THE TIME!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Anyone a Zep fan?

I know that there is no comparison whatsoever talent wise, BUT back in the 70's a "heavy Metal" band by the name of Led Zepplin prettymuch ripped off note by note someone by the name of Robert Johnson???? EVERYONE forgave Jimmy Page. As early as the late 80's he STILL did not give proper songwriting credit to Johnson and to this day does not speak much about it. When you look at it, it's not so surprising that Lavigne would so such a thing as her Husband Dereck Whibly (sp?) and his band Sum 41 did much the same thing with a song by Coldplay call the Scientist. Have a listen to Pieces by Sum 41, then listen to Coldplay. I guess to the younger set it's ethically ok to do that... Heck listen to Hip Hop where is it perfectly ok to "sample" someone else's tune. Is it really any worse than all the movie re-makes we are subject to due to lack of new ideas? I'm rambling, I know!

I

·
0 Posts
There are rumours about her. Chantal Kreviazuk claimed in an interview Avril used one of her songs without credit or payment.
In that same CBC newscast about the law suit Kreviazuk said she wouldn't work with her again. Something about how she sits in the room and mopes and does nothing.

Ahh well, it'll all come around and bite her in the end when she can't find writers to write her next platinum album for her.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey (hey)
You (you)
Get off my cloud!

sound familiar?

maybe mick and keith should go after the rubinoos.
rubinoos are just looking for an easy paycheque imo.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Youtube vid playing the two songs

Youtube

The chorus has a similarity, but it doesn't sound like a note for note rip off. Pop music is by nature simple and straightforward so at some point songwriters are going to start repeating themselves.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Exactly the same, only different!"

Youtube vid playing the two songs

Youtube

The chorus has a similarity, but it doesn't sound like a note for note rip off. Pop music is by nature simple and straightforward so at some point songwriters are going to start repeating themselves.
The issue here is not one of a song being released and some years later someone writes a new song that is somewhat similar.

Chantal worked directly with Avril for some time, writing and polishing songs. Afterward she sends the girl a tune and never is told its accepted or gets paid for it.

A short time later out comes Avril's album with striking similarities. THAT's what makes it a ripoff and that's what spawns a lawsuit!

Things like this are very important in artistic industries. Everyone knows that a lawsuit about a movie or book idea or a song lyric or riff can be hard to prove in court and often will only make the lawyers rich. So everyone pays attention when someone claims they were ripped off! It affects reputation and the integrity of a person's word.

Avril might get away with it but the mere fact it happened might discourage anyone else from sending her a song.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The issue here is not one of a song being released and some years later someone writes a new song that is somewhat similar.

Chantal worked directly with Avril for some time, writing and polishing songs. Afterward she sends the girl a tune and never is told its accepted or gets paid for it.
Actually the entire issue is just that, the Lawsuit is coming from The Rubinoos, who claim Avril ripped their song off to make one of her hits.

The Chantal issue is something different all together, although it does help to raise question as to Avrils songwriting skills.

Chantal hasn't said anything about the melody and structure being the same, it's just the title. Unless she can prove that Avril did in fact Rip her song off and not give a writing credit all Avril essentially did was take the name.

Avril's reputation as a song-writer was already sketchy and i doubt that this will help it at all but until i see a recording of the song by Chantal, in my eyes for this particular case Avril hasn't done anything wrong (other than "writing" really bad music).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah music lawsuits are incredibly lame, it's kind of obvious that at some point in time someone will write a song quite similar to another, who really cares though?
This stuff happens all the time, but usually no one really makes a big deal out of it, but looks like that's not the case this time.

·
Registered
526 Posts

A short time later out comes Avril's album with striking similarities. THAT's what makes it a ripoff and that's what spawns a lawsuit!
wrong song...and so far the only similarity is the title in that case.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ha

I think the only ones getting ripped off is the people who pay for that crap.

Man o man...They are probably just do it as a publicity stunt and Rubinoos band wnats to start ..god forbid..touring again.:eek:

·
Registered
324 Posts
The whole thing w/ the Rubinoos is probably just sheer, dumb, coincidence... I mean, "hey you i want to be your girlfriend" isn't exactly a thoughtful, meaningful lyric... more like something i'd say when i was drunk.

However, I'm curious as to whether Chantal just meant the song title or the song itself... I really respect Chantal as a songwriter and if Avril did use the song w/o permission... well, that's just low.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey (hey)
You (you)
Get off my cloud!

sound familiar?

maybe mick and keith should go after the rubinoos.
rubinoos are just looking for an easy paycheque imo.
I was glad to see you post this. I've been sort of amazed that in all the media talk about this song, no one's picked up on the fact that the main element of the chorus comes from the Stones.

And as far as I know, the Rubinoos wrote their song well after the Ramones song of the same name, which was very well known in punk/New Wave circles at the time.

I doubt we'll see Mick and Keith do anything about this though; Andrew Loog Oldham owns the rights to all their old stuff. (Remember how he successfully went after the Verve in 1997 for "Bittersweet Symphony"?)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts