The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes you read correct signed by the man himself. Best thing is the owner said " its for sale if the right offer comes" me im not a fan of the gibson gospel nor stompen tom

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts
Yes you read correct signed by the man himself. Best thing is the owner said " its for sale if the right offer comes" me im not a fan of the gibson gospel nor stompen tom

If you’re thinking about buying it don’t get sucked into paying for a signature. It adds no real value to the instrument. I’ve seen gospels around for as low as $600 locally, depending on condition. It’s not really a sought after model.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you’re thinking about buying it don’t get sucked into paying for a signature. It adds no real value to the instrument. I’ve seen gospels around for as low as $600 locally, depending on condition. It’s not really a sought after model.
No i hate stompen tom. He had no talent. And im not a fan of the gibson gospel. I just thought it be a good convesation starter

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
I loved Stomping Tom. He sang from the heart and had a love for his country that could well be a lesson to many of us.

When I was a boy, my Dad took me to a wrasslin match. Stompin Tom was the opening act. They lowered a mic down into the squared circle and he did his set.

I’ll always remember him picking up the sheet of plywood after his set and dumping a big pile of sawdust.

He was and is a great Canadian and a great guy.

·
Premium Member
4,300 Posts
No i hate stompen tom. He had no talent. And im not a fan of the gibson gospel. I just thought it be a good convesation starter

This is overly harsh. IMO. even if you don’t like his style there’s no way that you could hang on to that comment if you ever learned about his story and life.

- An orphan who played for food in his beginnings.

- out of his love for people and his beloved Canada, he started writing about his many visits to towns all over Canada.

- possibly the only Canadian musician who did it all himself in the studio on his own dime then, sold the rights to distribute to his record company with a lump sum payment for the rights. Then the royalties on each sale. That year his album’s distribution rights fetched $120k. IIRC. ( The studio was that happened to be where he did his last nine or 10 albums.

- very nice dude. Authentic to the bone.

- .... anyone care to continue the list.

( aside, that Canadian flag sticker happens to be from that whiskey bottle whi’s back label is also a sticker. I don’t recall the brand. )

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 63 SG Standard, 62 Fender Princeton and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,191 Posts

Trying to pick up a hot date here won’t work mate, most of us are over 40 and dudes ;)

Reactions: Private Hudson

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is overly harsh. IMO. even if you don’t like his style there’s no way that you could hang on to that comment if you ever learned about his story and life.

- out of his love for people and his beloved Canada, he started writing about his many visits to towns all over Canada.

- possibly the only Canadian musician who did it all himself in the studio on his own dime then, sold the rights to distribute to his record company with a lump sum payment for the rights. Then the royalties on each sale. That year his album’s distribution rights fetched $120k. IIRC. ( The studio was that happened to be where he did his last nine or 10 albums.

( aside, that Canadian flag sticker happens to be from that whiskey bottle whi’s back label is also a sticker. I don’t recall the brand. )
Ok let me reword . Around here they worship him like a god to the point he has his own cafe named after him. He couldnt sing like most of the old country singers. He couldnt write . As for him being a orphan uhm yeah that dont phase me im a product of the system . My sister never left the system. We couldnt fine her till she was 26. Were did the last 8 years go i dont know. Yes its good that he made something of his life but i never found him overly special.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts

Royal Reserve. There's one on my acoustic as well.

L

·
0 Posts
I used to have this album signed by him.
He lived ten minutes from me up Trafalgar Rd and I jammed with his neighbour.
I gave it to a buddy that was a big fan.

·
Premium Member
16,804 Posts
He couldnt sing like most of the old country singers. He couldnt write .

Well, he was an admittedly rudimentary player and no, he's no Vince Gill when it comes to singing, but he certainly could and DID write many songs, more than I have anyways, that reached Canadians and likely people in other countries.

Dylan isn't much of a singer either. Some would say the same about Neil Young and others.

Don't get me wrong. I can only take Stompin Tom in small doses. It's just not the kind of music I find myself listening to most of the time, but yeah, he was ok in my books.

L

·
0 Posts
Quite the Canadian

Stompin' Tom Connors | The Canadian Encyclopedia

He was a passionate activist for Canadian music and culture, going so far as to return six Juno Awards
in protest of what he saw as the organization’s favouring of expatriate Canadians over those with only
domestic success. He received Lifetime Achievement Awards from the East Coast Music Awards, the
Toronto Musician’s Union and SOCAN. He was made an Officer of the Order of Canada and inducted
into Canada's Walk of Fame.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
While he wasn't my fav for music I really did appreciate all that he brought to music and some of his song were catchy and fun to listen to and was a Canadian Icon as far as I am concerned and he did a lot for Canadian music scene that so many do not know about so let us be gentle with someone who gave his all and appreciate that he never said he was the greatest nor could sing or play but gave us food for thought.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts