The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is up with all spacing being reduced to one space? If I put 2 spaces before a new sentence that's how it should post.
If I'm listing a bunch of items using more than 2 spaces, that's how it should show up. Not sure if this is new but I think so, I never noticed it before.
ex.1 72
a 73
b 74
c 75
All items in ex.1 were posted with 10 spaces separation

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
What is up with all spacing being reduced to one space? If I put 2 spaces before a new sentence that's how it should post.
If I'm listing a bunch of items using more than 2 spaces, that's how it should show up. Not sure if this is new but I think so, I never noticed it before.
ex.1 72
a 73
b 74
c 75
All items in ex.1 were posted with 10 spaces separation
I still see 10 spaces in the quoted text. It just compresses them for rendering to browsers. This is probably not space elimination but rather a result of rendering a proportional font (you can look that up for details). Annoying, I know.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You on tablet or keyboard?
Keyboard with desktop computer.

I still see 10 spaces in the quoted text. It just compresses them for rendering to browsers. This is probably not space elimination but rather a result of rendering a proportional font (you can look that up for details). Annoying, I know.
How are you looking at it so you see all the spaces?
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure this is a new thing, and I'm wondering what change was responsible.
I've read recently about single space after period becoming acceptable for print, and I'm one of those who does not agree.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Testies, 1, 2
a
b
c
d
e

EDIT: Yup, I had them spaced right across the page. Desktop computer, full keyboard.
Hmmmmmmm

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
@jb welder Proper keyboard, eh? Hmm. Things have changed.

[I spent 12 years setting type on computer. I knew all the tricks. Em dash, en dash, fractions (as one symbol), subscript, superscript, ellipsis, cents sign, blah, blah, blah. I agonized over kerning and leading til the wee hours. Widows, orphans, where to hard return for readability, etc, etc, etc. All part of page layout along with PhotoShop and Illustrator. Brag, brag, brag. Yes I was good. Was.]

Proofing software could search for double spaces and change to single space automatically. Is that a default now?

·
Premium Member
3,080 Posts
As a long time user of the double space after a period, I can tell you that it's been like that since the transition to XenForo.

And yes, it bothers me more than it should.
So its a default now? Anything over one space is converted to one space? (Apparently because I put four spaces between every word in that last sentence.)

( Note: Use word for numbers under 20, and figures for numbers over 20. This dang thread is making me self-concious about my sloppy typing!)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, reading about what Chris D of xenforo thinks about the double space after period, I can see the single space is staying. I can live with that, and my mind is ecstatic about the vast saving in thumbstrokes! This guy even makes some valid points: Cary Millsap: The “Two Spaces After a Period” Thing
But for trying to create lists that are easily understood and legible, it sucks!
Also interested in testing how this shows up.   Double space? (edit: nope)

On a side note, these posts in the admin section are always fun just to see how long it takes to get some attention. o_O

·
Administrator
225 Posts
After some testing I did some research. This is something that should be fixed when we upgrade to Xenforo 2, which should be happening in the nearish future

Kevin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts