The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A modern update to the pancake jack, the squareplug:

Squareplug SP400 Low Profile Flat TS (up to 4.5mm OD) | Redco Audio

Smaller head (square vs round) as well as actual solder tabs for both the tip and sleeve (most pancakes require soldering to the casing for the sleeve, which is a pain).

You're welcome. I may even try some myself at some point (known pancake hater).

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,111 Posts
FINALLY!!

Switchcraft is so slow to alter their (40 year old?) designs...snooze and looze

Nice solder tabs...

Competition for the Swedes...

@jbealsmusic You might want to consider stocking these.
EBS Flats are awesome.... best the is IMO

·
Registered
345 Posts
Nice toast sandwich plugs.

I ran into a bit of a problem with the Switchcraft pancakes when I tried to hook up some Boss pedals in stereo. The Boss pedals that I have all have the left and right channel jacks to close to each other to clear the pancake plugs. I switched to the Switchcraft #226 plugs instead. My bad for not checking before I made the cables.

Pancake plugs are great for connecting pedals that have the jack on both sides. It is nice to see this Squareplug plug has tabs for both tip and shield, much better than soldering the shield to the case on a Switchcraft pancake.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Great looking design—Alan key fasteners, rigid looking casing, easy to solder tabs (less time, less heat to fry things)—and way past due.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
FINALLY!!

Switchcraft is so slow to alter their (40 year old?) designs...snooze and looze

Nice solder tabs...

Competition for the Swedes...

@jbealsmusic You might want to consider stocking these.
I ended up going with those Swedish cables because the connectors were smaller than the ones you made me. As well the cable is more flexible. However I kept the ones you made me as backup.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
They are selling like hotcakes (note: not pancakes..even though they are apparently directly related!) at our local music store.
Four different lengths with flexible cable at a reasonable price and the ends will fit anywhere.
What's not to love?

P

·
0 Posts
Interesting...this indicates that they are shielded:
EBS - PCF Deluxe Flat Patch Cable, Right-Angle, 10cm
Mine aren't like those shown, they don't have that gold rim on the plug.
The L&M link is what I have on my board, no noise.
I could be wrong, but some time ago I was looking into them and on the Gear Page there was a thread that found them not to be shielded. They may not have had the gold on them... If they work then no worries. I would still stay away.

P

·
0 Posts
I did a quick search and EBS has a version 2 of their cables. Maybe it was the first bunch that were noisy.

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The Flats are smaller and cheaper in the long run.

Negatory. They look great, but molded so if something breaks they're garbage vs being able to pop it open and resolder a connection or snip the wire a bit shorter and redo that way. Also if I roll my own the parts are less than the price of EBS (labour puts it over for a shortie pedal patch, but nor so for a longer cable).

Also, you can't choose your wire but are beholden to what they use (which is probably fine; wire is wire for the most part, but I have seen stuff with inadequate shielding, like a loose braid, for example but I doubt that's the case here).

Personally, for pedal interconnects I buy the $10 pack of 6 or so molded 6 inchers and treat them as disposables. For longer cables I roll my own with Amphenol jacks, r angles where needed/wanted. The only place I would have used a pancake is where that was original equipment and nothing else would fit right (e.g. some amp to speaker connections in vintage combos; all other jacks would stick out beyond the edge of the cab wood).

P

·
0 Posts
Negatory. They look great, but molded so if something breaks they're garbage vs being able to pop it open and resolder a connection or snip the wire a bit shorter and redo that way. Also if I roll my own the parts are less than the price of EBS (labour puts it over for a shortie pedal patch, but nor so for a longer cable).

Also, you can't choose your wire but are beholden to what they use (which is probably fine; wire is wire for the most part, but I have seen stuff with inadequate shielding, like a loose braid, for example but I doubt that's the case here).

Personally, for pedal interconnects I buy the $10 pack of 6 or so molded 6 inchers and treat them as disposables. For longer cables I roll my own with Amphenol jacks, r angles where needed/wanted. The only place I would have used a pancake is where that was original equipment and nothing else would fit right (e.g. some amp to speaker connections in vintage combos; all other jacks would stick out beyond the edge of the cab wood).
The cheap coloured cables might not be shielded either. I asked the local music store owner a couple of months ago and he cut one open and the jack was definitely not shielded.

P

·
0 Posts
The square jacks, if space is tight to another jack, will have to be straight up, which may not be wanted. If they need to be angled they will take up more space. I don't know why they are not round, other than marketing.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts