The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy, Truck Driver Shawn, is a longtime contributor to the Riff of the Day group on Facebook. He's fun to watch and generally a nice guy whose life has been a bit rough lately with the loss of his wife.

Atlantic Records got his account banned/deleted, including all access to the photos and memories of his wife, for playing a few riffs.

Dick move. They're using Facebook users as pawns in their battle to get Facebook to pay ASCAP fees.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dumb thing to do. Yes, it's not his property, but he's not profiting from it. Does this mean cover bands can't play in public on paid gigs?

Imagine if he played a Metallica riff?
It's ridiculous. I mean, dick move on Facebook's part, too, since they banned him over an issue that is between them and Atlantic, but dick move by Atlantic to scapegoat users in their dispute over fees with FB.

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
all the guy had to do was cite "educational use" when he posted, and they couldn't do a thing about it. i see it on youtube and other video channels all the time.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all the guy had to do was cite "educational use" when he posted, and they couldn't do a thing about it. i see it on youtube and other video channels all the time.
The difference being that YouTube pays ASCAP fees to Atlantic and Facebook doesn't. This looks like two corporations scapegoating a user in their corporate pissing match.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
They are stretching the IP laws with that policy and completely ignoring fair use issues (the problem is they have the lawyers to tie you up legally for ever so they get away with it).

It's stupid and will backfire.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
12,368 Posts
They are stretching the IP laws with that policy and completely ignoring fair use issues (the problem is they have the lawyers to tie you up legally for ever so they get away with it).

It's stupid and will backfire.

right. this is what i am talking about. education comes under fair use

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Aren't corporate lawyers wonderful?
I had a good lawyer friend who won many cases in the supreme court. He had respect for the law but not for a lot of lawyers. He called them "liars".

Reactions: butterknucket
1 - 10 of 10 Posts