The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may recall I have been looking to upgrade my amp and what a trip its been, think I went to every shop in Ontario!!

So after trying lots with my Bass I discovered that..
1, I don't need all the bells and whistles.
2, I don't need a head and cab.
3, I don't want to spend a fortune.
4, I don't need that much power.
5, I want flexability.
6, I want to keep my back the way it is.

What I ended up getting is the New Ashdown Mag 300 combo with a 15. This head is the same as the seperate but with speaker.
So
1, Super responsive EQ gives me any tone I want.
2, Can power a external cab with or without the 15, tried with a second 2-10 and the stock 15:eek:
3, $530.00 cheaper than most out there with a good warrenty.
4, 307 W at 4 Ohms
5, Clean to crunch at a turn of the knobs, ability to run any cab, few bells like Sub, Lows, Highs boost buttons.
6, About 50 LB I think, easy to carry with the top handle.

The best thing is my 5 string now sounds amazing and my 4 is even better than before.
Over all I am happy and will be trying it out at our jam this weekend.
Bev

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nice!!!

The MAG's get a lot of respect - great value for the money. I liked the 410 combo I had, but I moved to a Genz Benz head for a little more power, along with the second pre-amp channel (tube).

This is the one that I had...

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nice. I myself was not overly impressed with the Mag series cabs, but really liked the tone from the heads I tried out.

Really hard to beat their prices either without resorting to cheap Chinese knock-offs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Congrats on your new rig. Sounds like you got just what you wanted.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was leaning to the 4-10 combo but for the size weight and price I thought the 1-15 plus a 2-10 or 2-12 would be better. They want $230 for a 2-10.

James
I was thinking of the speaker quality as well and tried the combo head with a Ampeg 4-10 and it was amazing..The Ashdown 4-10 was not as amazing sounding and the cab was more effiecient.

I will borrow or rent some other cabs till I find the one that works the best.
Bev

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I was leaning to the 4-10 combo but for the size weight and price I thought the 1-15 plus a 2-10 or 2-12 would be better. They want $230 for a 2-10.

James
I was thinking of the speaker quality as well and tried the combo head with a Ampeg 4-10 and it was amazing..The Ashdown 4-10 was not as amazing sounding and the cab was more effiecient.

I will borrow or rent some other cabs till I find the one that works the best.
Bev
I tried a Mag300 head into the 2x10 cabinet, then plugged it into a Yorkville 2x10 and the sound was night and day. Of course the Yorkie was a lot more money and about twice the weight.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If I didn't have the Traynor YBA200 and matching cab, I'd be owning the Ashdown mag head + 15 and 2-10 cabs. They seem to have thrived despite the Behringer knock-offs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If I didn't have the Traynor YBA200 and matching cab, I'd be owning the Ashdown mag head + 15 and 2-10 cabs. They seem to have thrived despite the Behringer knock-offs.
How do you like the Traynor cab? I have the same cab - use it with my Genz Benz 600 head. I've only played 2 or 3 gigs with it though.

The MAG line is getting a lot of positive reviews so there's probably not much worry in that camp. It is a very good, very affordable, gig-worthy option for those that can't or refuse to dish out for the top tier stuff.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Very happy with the cab. You can adjust the horn with a control in the back to suit your style of playing. It's a shade lighter and smaller than my old Traynor 2-15 cab which is relegated to the practice place now. Had to put wheel under it, of course.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bit of an update.

Tried the combo now with a 2-10 and 2-12, each with the 15. The Eden 2-10 made it brighter with more punch. The GK 2-12 was outstanding..more punch and bottom end with good smooth mids and highs.

On my Godin 5 the J pickup is pretty weak and I never use it for some reason. Playing around with the amp I raised the input level to max and the amp developed an amazing Ampeg type tube tone!! Although with the hiss..oh well.

Fan noise is decent although if you play it hard for a while then play it soft the fan will stay at its high setting till it cools down, so bit of extra noise there.

To plug in an external cab its a bit strange, power up amp then plug in cab. If you plug in before you start amp, it does not power cab. Not sure if its just mine or the design, will have to give the shop a call.

Overall just loving it and am thrilled that the Godin is sounding So much better.
Bev

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Nothin' better than enjoying your gear!

I really like 2x12s. Punchy and crisp, and still lots of usable low end. I'm now doing the 2x12 on a 1x15 and I love my tone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nothin' better than enjoying your gear!

I really like 2x12s. Punchy and crisp, and still lots of usable low end. I'm now doing the 2x12 on a 1x15 and I love my tone.
That's quite a shift from the 8x8 you used to swear by. Any thoughts that maybe the P/J style you're using now matches 12's and 15's better, and the 8's are maybe more suited to the more agressive/modern tone of the MF basses you use to have?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a Ashdown MAG-115-300 (older model) and this cab rocks.

When used alone, It sounds like s***, but in a band situation, it cuts trough like no other cab I had.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My brother just loves the Ashdown Electric Blue. Its not an expensive amp but it works in every situation he puts it into such as hardcore bands and churches( weird eh).

The Mag series is a nice in between series for Ashdown. Its just below the high end quality of a ABM EVO series and below the cost.

The amps have their own coloration that is totally different from Eden and Traynor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts