Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, You own one?, You tried one? I would like some feedback, thanks
Dan

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I haven't tried that particular one, but looking at the specs it would be a very fast player. I have a 2006 A&L CW Cedar cutaway and that neck profile is like playing a comfortable neck on an electric to me. The playability is outstanding. It's pretty much the Americana. Sounds to me like the same guitar with a slightly smaller concert hall size body and spruce top, instead of Cedar.. I'd recommend checking the line out if you haven't. If you have, what did YOU think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havn't, no A&L dealers close to me, that's why I'm asking...

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I went shopping for a new guitar in the summer - I decided I wasn't going to look at the price tag . . . but simply concern myself with how it felt comfort wise and most importantly how it sounded. I wanted a smaller sized guitar and tried all the available Martins and Taylors but kept coming back to the A&L - my comment was always it sounded so nice! I selected the A&L and was pleasantly surprise with the $500 price tag. I also liked that is is Canadian made. The guys at the store said that this particular guitar had just arrived the other day and they all commented on how great is sounded - I think it surprises people in a good way.
I still love it . . . end of my story! :D

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
My only A&L was all cherry with solid top and laminate back and sides. It was a bright sounding guitar but well balanced tones and for me, a very easy player. Unfortunately, I sold it when I moved back east. I should have kept that one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, it's on my list to test drive,
But what if I simply jump up to a Martin 000-17 Black Smoke...
I know, not the same ball park...
Dan

·
Registered
18,559 Posts
Thanks all, it's on my list to test drive,
But what if I simply jump up to a Martin 000-17 Black Smoke...
I know, not the same ball park...
Dan
You may just simply like it. I would also try out the Martin X series. They are HPL back and sides but they definitely have the Martin sound and the prices are in the ball park of the Art & Lutherie.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I was thinking the OX2MAE is kind of cool
or the OOLX1AE
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I have the Roadhouse Parlour. It plus really nicely and sounds good. It’s small and a obviously won’t give me room-filling sound, but it’s a good traveller and fun on the couch.

The Legacy Concert is nice, although I didn’t find it to be as well-done for its genre as the smaller one. Ditto for the dread, which I felt lacked the warm bottom end that a dread should have.

Of course, being wood instruments and our ears being subjective, if you like it, go for it. It was a well-made guitar for that price range and Godin has a good thing going with those acoustics.

In that price range, it would also be worth checking out the Yamaha LS6 or even stretching the budget to the LS16.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dan
Let me chime in here.

I have a 2016 S & P Songsmith Concert Hall. Purchased used off Kijiji, sans case, f0r $80.0o. Light as a feather, nice size, almost like a toy. At first - because I'm a moderate to moderate-plus strummer - I was confused by its potential. With a string change and some time (a month?) it has become, ever since, my go-to guitar. Bright, with a bite that comes out to my ear, and which I love, when moderately strung. I've read where the solid spruce top/lammy wild cherry back and sides leans towards a mahogany sound. I will say it's nothing like the sound of a solid spruce top/mahogany or rosewood back and sides. And that's an endorsement.

I always read/heard the A&L line from Godin is the lowest end. But what is actually the "spread" between the Godin line of acoustics, in terms of label on the headstock, may be minimal. I like the look of these Legacy's. But I'd try one first, and focus on a used, second, as one of the weak points of the Godin line - probably the only weak point - is their collective re-sale value. I got mine for $80.00. Lists for $359.00. In tough economic times, I always look used, first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dan
Hi Dan
Picked up my new Legacy in faded black this afternoon. So far I am very impressed.
Fit and finish is great and it plays nicely right out of the box.
I had a Yamaha FG800 and I would say the Legacy sounds warmer, not as tinny as the FG.
I got mine without electronics so I can't comment on that.
I have an S&P Woodland pro folk and would say the neck feels a bit thinner on the Legacy. Not a bad thing just different.
The faded black looks really nice and the tuners and pick guard add to the vintage look.
I don't think you can go wrong for the money.
The fact it is made in Canada is just icing on the cake!

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Thanks for the report
Happy for you that it fits
Question is :
Do I really need to spend 3K or just a cool A&E will do ?
Next time I'm in Montreal, It's on the list
Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Thanks for the report
Happy for you that it fits
Question is :
Do I really need to spend 3K or just a cool A&E will do ?
Next time I'm in Montreal, It's on the list
Thanks
I was in the same position as you. I wanted a black guitar.
I researched the 0017 Black Smoke and hope to try one out later this week, but it will have to be
pretty special to sway me away from the Legacy.
I am a bit of a newbie. I started playing again after a 25 year break. I have tried quite a few higher end guitars and have yet to find any that really make me go wow I gotta have this.
I will let you know how I feel about the Black Smoke vs the Legacy. Not thinking the Black Smoke will be worth $2000 more.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I have A&L Legacy Concert Hall faded black with Q1T electronics for almost 4 months now. I was at the store for a Martin 00017 with a big price tag and tried this guitar side by side. Martin was better but did not worth the price difference to me.
One issue with this guitar is that I could not find a hard case that fits it in the store, and A&L does not offer soft case or hard case for them. Between, Q1T electronics works surprisingly well. Overall, if you are in the market for a good sounding, easy to play and nice looking guitar, I highly recommend it. plus it's made in Canada....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts