The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how others feel. I love music and enjoy playing in a band. It's a big part of my life and privately, at least, I am proud of it...

But not always. For instance, I'd be hesitant to mention it on a resume or in a job interview due to the negative connotations. "Guitar player in a band? Must be unreliable... and probably takes drugs."

How do you feel? Do you proudly tell anyone who will listen that you're a musician?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You bet I'm proud of it. I've never worried about the stereotypes, and when if someone has mentioned it in the past, I've just countered by saying their are many types of musicians and types of music. I'd never hesitate to include it on a resume.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I take pride in my music, I've spent a lot of years playing and learning. I do list it on my resume but under the hobby format. When I was younger I had
hopes of being a working pro, spent a few years chasing the dream. But a job opportunity came up and I had to cave in. All was not lost, I have spent many years playing as a hobbyist and have had many pleasureable expierences and met many a great player...

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know where I work, playing guitar is viewed as a good thing because it shows a person has other interests but playing in a band is viewed negatively by some because it is a 'second job'. I don't care what they think.

Absolutely I am proud to say I am a musician and over the last year I am delighted to see that I view myself more as a musician than whatever work title I wear. That means my identity is revolving more around 'me' than outside, artificial, temporary influences, that's gotta be good.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Absolutely I am proud to say I am a musician and over the last year I am delighted to see that I view myself more as a musician than whatever work title I wear. That means my identity is revolving more around 'me' than outside, artificial, temporary influences, that's gotta be good.
Amen to that, I've always said that a person should define their job, not the other way around. I know too many people who have nothing but their jobs. I just look at mine as a means to an end...:rockon2:

·
Registered
324 Posts
I love it and while I don't list it on my resume (I don't list any hobbies on it at all) I do talk about it and most of my colleagues know that I play.

I

·
0 Posts
I yak incessantly about music and playing guitar. At home. At work. I'm sure it drives people nuts. I definitely don't hide my love of music or the fact that I play music. Life is too short to spend it worrying about what others think of my life pursuits. I'm living it for my enjoyment, not their affirmation.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm not sure I can concider myself a musician but I don't hesitate to tell people I play guitar. I love to talk guitar and guitar tabs with anyone who'll lend an ear.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I tell everybody that I'm a musician.. it's really the only way I get away with the clothes I wear.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I yak incessantly about music and playing guitar. At home. At work. I'm sure it drives people nuts. I definitely don't hide my love of music or the fact that I play music. Life is too short to spend it worrying about what others think of my life pursuits. I'm living it for my enjoyment, not their affirmation.
Same here.

Music and playing guitar is easily the most talked about subject between me and friends / family. And when I'm not talking I'm playing guitar, :eek:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Last winter I started going to jams again for a couple of months. The first one I went to I didn't take a guitar along since I didn't know anyone there and just wanted to stand in the back and see what it was like. After the host band's third song their bass player looked at me and said "You look like a musician." and my first thought was "No I don't."

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
I figure so much of our identity within society is based on our occupations and passtimes. One should take as much pride in being a musician, whether pro or amateur, as in being a sports fan, auto enthusiast, stamp collector, charity volunteer, blue collar, white collar, or whatever else.

The trick is be be both proud and humbled. I'm still working on it.

Peace, Mooh.

L

·
0 Posts
...."Guitar player in a band? Must be unreliable... and probably takes drugs."
Stereotyping is human nature. Everybody does it
at one point or another. Not necessarily in a negative
fashion, but subconsciously at the least. When I talk
about my motorcycle, some will say "are you a biker?"
No...I enjoy riding bikes. And also "hey man, got
some pot?", because I have long hair.
But yeah..I'm proud to be me...a musician.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I figure so much of our identity within society is based on our occupations and passtimes. One should take as much pride in being a musician, whether pro or amateur, as in being a sports fan, auto enthusiast, stamp collector, charity volunteer, blue collar, white collar, or whatever else.

The trick is be be both proud and humbled. I'm still working on it.

Peace, Mooh.

Well said Mooh! Especially "...The trick is to be both proud and humbled..."

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...somewhere around age fifty-five i finally decided to stop apologizing to the world for defining myself as a musician, singer, songwriter and (...:eek:...), artist!

feels good.

-dh

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I've always marched to my own drummer and been proud of it. The way I have always looked at it, is that if people are talking about me, then at least they aren't talking about someone that it might actually bother.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
especially in these days of instant gratification, it takes a real commitment to be a musician.

You SHOULD be proud of yourself.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Absolutely. I'm not going to cover ground already mentioned here. I'm in total agreement with the previous posts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts