The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seen on a major guitar forum about a new Epiphone LP '59 with a lemon yellow top.

Well shit. My Epi journey abruptly ended today. Discovered the attached horrors while wiring up new stuff. Glad I kept the stock parts! I returned it to GC, who are sending it back to Epiphone. Almost $1000 is way too much for this silliness. Not one but TWO open seams, disguised by the paper thin veneer. No. Thanks.
Wood Automotive lighting Gas Tints and shades Circle

Brown Amber Light Orange Automotive lighting

My take on it.

Does it show from the top and is the area softer ? If not I don't see a problem.

I bet that everybody that sees this post will go put a powerful light to their cavity holes and they will see some of the same.

We all know that the maple tops are multiple pieces on Epiphone and veneer is paper thin. Those pieces are glued together with glue that is somewhat translucid. Control cavities have to be routed real close to the surface for pots to fit and so the wood and surely the glue will have some transparency with a 10,000W light burning the surface.

Am I permissive or should the poster get a new hobbie ?

·
Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
5,257 Posts
As much as I firmly side with "people are looking for problems" the back clearly shows some separation of the body wood on those seams and while it likely isn't a huge issue, I don't see how it is acceptable on a production run guitar. As for the light, meh, if it wasn't for the bad seam who cares.

·
Premium Member
22,416 Posts
As much as I firmly side with "people are looking for problems" the back clearly shows some separation of the body wood on those seams and while it likely isn't a huge issue, I don't see how it is acceptable on a production run guitar. As for the light, meh, if it wasn't for the bad seam who cares.
This is what happens when cost trumps quality.

Show me a $5000 Gibson with this problem and I think that's a bigger concern.

No, it shouldn't happen even with EPIs or other lower cost brands but I can see it being more likely.

Remember, the cars you drive are also subject to such pressures. It may be little known fact, but every year, the companies who supply parts to make your vehicles are subject to cost reduction targets and requirements by the auto makers. Generally the targets are between 2% and 5% and can run for three years or more (cumulative impact).

So, there's the initial competition to even be awarded the business and then you have to find ways to make it cheaper without (supposedly) affecting quality and stay profitable.

I suspect it's much the same in many industries including guitar building.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I would think it's common to many industries.
I think so, since the widespread adoption of Lean Manufacturing principles beyond automotive industry, it has became almost standard to expect continuous improvement effort to yield some sort of price reduction.
Even though in principles it's not suppose to come at the expense of quality or safety (when talking about cars or aircrafts).

·
Premium Member
22,416 Posts
Even though in principles it's not suppose to come at the expense of quality or safety (when talking about cars or aircrafts).
It's not supposed to, but it sure as hell does. Some of the materials and designs in these parts are fairly mature and cost reduction pressure has been applied for many years so the low hanging fruit has been picked long ago. Add to this the global supply competition and it's almost impossible to make some of these parts and apply reduction to an already slim margin without impacting quality.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
I could live with this if they were still $400. While Epiphone has supposedly upped their game, IMO the whole "inspired by Gibson" thing is a new headstock, the odd model with good pickups, and marketing. $1000 + Epiphones make no sense to me.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
I don’t think anyone expects an Epiphone to not be veneered front and back. Mahogany veneered back and flame maple veneer top.
Is the issue the size or visibility of the joints in the mahogany?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t think anyone expects an Epiphone to not be veneered front and back. Mahogany veneered back and flame maple veneer top.
No one expects a non veneer body indeed. The joint is in the maple top. I bet you that if the owner had never shined a light there, he would have lived forever happy with what a great guitar it is.

·
Premium Member
22,416 Posts

I wouldn't expect to see daylight through a properly laminated body. Veneer is fine. It is what it is. Those joints don't look like a well glued and clamped body should look in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts