The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are these the same?

Different era (top is from Late 70's, Bottom mid 2000's)

That +- on the top one has me second guessing myself.

I want to connect these 2 pieces of gear but I'm getting some weird spikes in volume.

Anyone?

FullSizeRender.jpg

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand it to connect these items together would be to plug a TRS insert cable into the top one and use the +.

Everything else should be okay.

Correct?

The top one is a mono signal (tip), circuit ground (ring) and earth ground (sleeve)
The bottom is Balanced line (tip and ring) and common ground (sleeve)
As I read it anyway....

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
You lose the balance doing that and you don't know the loading limits of the output of the negative. If you ground it, it might not like it at all. It really depends on the circuit output of the component sending the signal. If it's a balanced output transformer, it will just short out that half of the winding which will reduce the total signal by half as you would have effectively grounded half of it. If the signal is opamp driven, there may be load considerations to take into account.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just tested it this way and it works perfectly fine.
Thanks for your help.

You lose the balance doing that and you don't know the loading limits of the output of the negative. If you ground it, it might not like it at all. It really depends on the circuit output of the component sending the signal. If it's a balanced output transformer, it will just short out that half of the winding which will reduce the total signal by half as you would have effectively grounded half of it. If the signal is opamp driven, there may be load considerations to take into account.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts