The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they are getting better, and Cleartone seems to have some promise...
Anyone found a killer extended life string???

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
Elixir Optiwebs are the only electric string I use. Very durable; with long life and a fantastic tone that holds up.

W.

·
Premium Member
4,189 Posts
I use Thomastik Enfeld on all my semi and hollow guitars. They last for a long time.

·
Premium Member
16,815 Posts
Since i dont use them, im curious: how long do these elixirs last, and how much is a pack?

·
Premium Member
13,023 Posts
I don't enjoy changing strings. I am a bit of a klutz, so I change them slowly and now I don't draw blood like I used to. I think I may give the Optiwebs a go - 9-46s - for my strat.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
Well, it varies a lot, depending on your playtime and style (pick, fingers etc) With the acoustic, where I use a heavy pick I wear off the coating under my pick hand after about 3 months, and they start to get dull. With the electric, where I play with fingers, and rotate between 4 different electrics, I usually change them about every 6 months or a bit more.

·
Registered
24,366 Posts
String life is not just a matter of oxidation, and coatings to prevent that. Taller frets tend to render poorer intonation over a shorter time frame, because the strings get bent over the tall frets. The string itself may be spotlessly clean, but if you pluck it you can see it's not a "clean" wiggle, but more of a wobble.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I actually like the slight slippery feel of the coatings, I didn't like the first generation (polyweb) but both of the newer ones feel nice. The worst "long life strings" are stainless strings IMO, they are so sticky and chew up both your fingers and frets.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
I tried those a few years ago, they sound pretty good (and they really do stay in tune exceptionally well) but I liked the elixirs a bit better.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Nickel flats last forever. Tomastik Infelds as mentioned above have a midrangey thing going on that some may not like. I have liked them on some guitars before. Now running D'addario Chromes on my archtops, and will try them on my flat electrics next time. Also like Pyramids but the price; soundwise kinda in between the other two.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts