The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,879 Posts
People still buy/wear watches? Whodathunk?

·
Premium Member
11,879 Posts
LOL

Great movie. Dumb ending.

·
Premium Member
2,182 Posts
They work well, I've had a couple, they're not as good as the 007 dive watches. Those are amazing, about 300$ and indestructible. I have a Sumo and a 007 and the 007 is just as good at half the price.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Why are people still dinking around with analog watches? Get an Apple and be done. It’ll log your exercise, track your sleep, watch your heart rate, plot the weather, keep track of your appointments, play music, send you message and email alerts, set timers and alarms, map your family members and tell you the time! That is just the tip of the ice berg. Mine even helped saved my elderly Moms life one night. She was feeling crappy all day and said her heart was racing. I figured it might be like 120 or something. I put my Apple Watch on her and her resting heart rate was 177! I called the BC Medical line and they said call her an ambulance and get her to emerg. I drove her, we were admitted immediately, and they had to chemically stop her heart and restart it at the correct rate. The doctor said if she hadn’t come in her heart would have eventually given out. I also noted while she was hooked up to the heart monitor the Watch matched the heart monitor beat for beat! I expected it to be out 10% more or less. You don’t need the fanciest one. The aluminum sport model is fine (and weighs 1/2 what my steel one weighs). Get the cheapest band (usually the white rubber one) then buy a nice band on Amazon for $10-$40. I have five or six bands and swap them out depending on the circumstance. Yes you need an Apple iPhone, but you should already have one of those anyway.:D

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why are people still dinking around with analog watches? Get an Apple and be done. It’ll log your exercise, track your sleep, watch your heart rate, plot the weather, keep track of your appointments, play music, send you message and email alerts, set timers and alarms, map your family members and tell you the time! That is just the tip of the ice berg. Mine even helped saved my elderly Moms life one night. She was feeling crappy all day and said her heart was racing. I figured it might be like 120 or something. I put my Apple Watch on her and her resting heart rate was 177! I called the BC Medical line and they said call her an ambulance and get her to emerg. I drove her, we were admitted immediately, and they had to chemically stop her heart and restart it at the correct rate. The doctor said if she hadn’t come in her heart would have eventually given out. I also noted while she was hooked up to the heart monitor the Watch matched the heart monitor beat for beat! I expected it to be out 10% more or less. You don’t need the fanciest one. The aluminum sport model is fine (and weighs 1/2 what my steel one weighs). Get the cheapest band (usually the white rubber one) then buy a nice band on Amazon for $10-$40. I have five or six bands and swap them out depending on the circumstance. Yes you need an Apple iPhone, but you should already have one of those anyway.:D
I appear to be becoming a neo-luddite more every day.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I have looked for a mechanical watch at a decent price for years. The only thing a battery powered quartz watch does on my wrist is die a quick death. All I want is something that tells the time (and maybe the date). I don't want it to do anything else. I don't have or want a cell phone or any other gizmo that tries to make my life easier by making it more complicated.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have looked for a mechanical watch at a decent price for years. The only thing a battery powered quartz watch does on my wrist is die a quick death. All I want is something that tells the time (and maybe the date). I don't want it to do anything else. I don't have or want a cell phone or any other gizmo that tries to make my life easier by making it more complicated.
I inherited my grandfather's Citizen earlier this year. It's nothing special; just an analog quartz watch, but it's great and doesn't budge on time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Before the iWatch I collected watches. One of my favourites was a cheap Invicta Rolex Submariner knock-off I bought online for $50. The workings failed the first week so I took it to my watch guy. He said the movement was crap and installed a Citizen quartz movement for $25. That thing has been bullet proof ever since, is solid stainless and I get two years out of a battery.

·
Premium Member
9,761 Posts
I found a Seiko about 30 years ago...still works today.
I think they’re a great value.
Unlike the POS Tissot I got from new, that barely lasted 5 years with minimal wear,

·
Premium Member
10,951 Posts
Several years ago I picked up an inexpensive Citizen Eco-Drive that has worn well, keeps time accurately, looks good, and best of all, it has large black numbers on a white face making it easy to read. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed a second. (Yeah, I noticed the pun.) My previous Bulova and Cardinal watches sit in a drawer.

The argument against watches, often in favour of cell phones, doesn't work for me. I can wear a watch driving a car or riding a bicycle, but can't use the phone. I can glance at a watch anywhere, even while my hands are occupied (like playing guitar, doing carpentry, gardening, horsing around with the dogs, teaching music lessons, etc), but the phone requires hands to operate. I wear my watch on the inside of my left wrist, a habit I started after breaking crystals by banging them on walls, trees, stationary tools, etc. and it makes the watch easier to read.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
I like watches. I like to know the time at a glance. They're the only "jewelry" I wear. Still have the Bulova my parents gave me 40 years ago and a Tiffany I got for 10 years at one company. Maybe a dozen others.

Still waiting for my ship to come in to buy a Rolex.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Several years ago I picked up an inexpensive Citizen Eco-Drive that has worn well, keeps time accurately, looks good, and best of all, it has large black numbers on a white face making it easy to read. I'd buy another in a heartbeat if I needed a second. (Yeah, I noticed the pun.) My previous Bulova and Cardinal watches sit in a drawer.

The argument against watches, often in favour of cell phones, doesn't work for me. I can wear a watch driving a car or riding a bicycle, but can't use the phone. I can glance at a watch anywhere, even while my hands are occupied (like playing guitar, doing carpentry, gardening, horsing around with the dogs, teaching music lessons, etc), but the phone requires hands to operate. I wear my watch on the inside of my left wrist, a habit I started after breaking crystals by banging them on walls, trees, stationary tools, etc. and it makes the watch easier to read.
I like wearing a watch too, for all the same reasons. I don't like big clunky watches though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts