The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mean from a frequency response perspective. Aren't all PAs FRFR as are monitor speakers? What's the difference between them?

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the PAs I have can be laid horizontally and tilted up to become monitors. Mine also have four different EQ settings that I haven't seen on monitors.

·
Premium Member
12,255 Posts
Yes, the same thing (full range freq response).

The biggest difference is form factor, some suiting PA applications better and some suiting monitor applications better. But sonically, they should both be relatively flat and have controlled dispersion, as usually dictated by the HF device.

·
Premium Member
16,839 Posts
Most cabs these days are full range. If a cab is full range the main difference between a monitor and a main can be in the desired throw (distance). I suspect Mr. Hammer can provide a more scientific reply.

The vast majority of cabinets I see these days can be used either as mains or monitors.

In fact, I haven't used a passive crossover based three or four way system in several years. It's all line array or basic full range active bins these days.

·
Premium Member
4,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most cabs these days are full range. If a cab is full range the main difference between a monitor and a main can be in the desired throw (distance). I suspect Mr. Hammer can provide a more scientific reply.

The vast majority of cabinets I see these days can be used either as mains or monitors.

In fact, I haven't used a passive crossover based three or four way system in several years. It's all line array or basic full range active bins these days.
That's what I figured when I was looking to go powered or unpowered. Glad I went powered. Much more versatile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts