The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eye on one, but I have heard they aren't great. That they become upgrade hogs.

Any experience?

·
Registered
385 Posts
I like the looks of them.
I've picked up a few that were great guitars, but the necks are way too small for me.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't own one but I've played a bunch of them. Some don't like the pickups but I think they're fine. There seem to be a lot of complaints around tuning issues on the Bigsby equipped ones but apparently there are easy remedies.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
They’re well made guitars, I had a green 5120 for about a year. I like the pickups. Wiring and electronics work well. Most of the tuning issues seem to be related to the TOM bridge, if you replace it with a rocker or Tru Arc it stays in tune quite well. I didn’t love the tuners, they felt kind of cheap (though they work fine)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Had a lefty 5420. It had a bit of a resonant vibration/rattle in the saddle/bridge. Easily fixed by adding small springs on the saddle sliders. Other that that I was quite happy with it. I eventually sold it because I just didn’t play it much.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I had a 5120. Nothing wrong with it. I liked the sound. Fit and finish was good. I never had a problem with tuning but I didn't use the Bigsby much. Recently bought an Epiphone Swingster which is a close alternative. I prefer the Epiphone pickups. The Gretsch got muddy with some gain. The wire tremolo arm on the Swingster is very nice and the Bigsby seems a little smoother. The pots and output jack on the Gretsch seemed to be higher quality than the Epiphone.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
My friend Swears by his. And I played one a few years back that was to die for. I also know that my guild and Gretsch are made in the same factory and as stated the bigsby isn’t as smooth as a us made one . Just little things that can be easily fixed. I don’t like the black top or Gretsch buckers , but I loved the hi lo tron pickups they had in them .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2015 Korean Gretsch 5422 DC - use the Bigsby ever so gently.. anything else.. is totally out of pitch.. when the bigsby comes back up. I haven't dedicated the time to solve the issue yet, but it does sound great even stock.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Now I will have to buy one of these for the Gretsch

Even if that thing meant I could do dive bombs on my Gretsch, I wouldn’t use it for two reasons...

1) It’s ugly as fuck
2) For the longest time, every time I did any sort of search in kijiji Musical Instruments, the results were spammed with a bunch of listings from someone selling these. Fuck THAT guy in particular.

...but whatever works for you. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I should have been more careful inspecting the guitar, but I met the guy at a hwy intersection and I was looking at it from the back of my van. The action was high, but I figured I would be able to adjust the action. But the bridge is as low as it can go without altering it. There are some cracks in the body I didn't see... This guitar is not a good one. Fuck.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I should have been more careful inspecting the guitar, but I met the guy at a hwy intersection and I was looking at it from the back of my van. The action was high, but I figured I would be able to adjust the action. But the bridge is as low as it can go without altering it. There are some cracks in the body I didn't see... This guitar is not a good one. Fuck.
Dam . Could you adjust the tension with the trust rod?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dam . Could you adjust the tension with the trust rod?

Maybe a little, but I took the round threaded adjuster washers off and pushed the bridge right down and it about the right height, but then the upper frets are not right. It's appears to banana up a little, like the reverse of fall-a-way.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts