The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
24,147 Posts
There are two broad categories of guitar. One is the category of guitars that a major manufacturer produces, in which they work backwards from the market-segment they wish to capture and pricepoint it would take to capture it. These are the folks who brought us Masonite Danelectros 50 years ago, and who now bring us $80 Strat knockoffs. The other polar extreme are the smaller builders who enjoy making instruments and work backwards from their overhead and living costs, and price their instruments to cover all of that. If I know it costs me $2200/mo just to pay the rent, utilities, health insurance (where applicable) and groceries, and I know I can only make 2 guitars a month, then I price accordingly so that, after overhead materials, tools, and taxes, I still have some profit.

As the materials and methods for the first category have enabled higher-volume production with lower labour costs, prices have come down, after adjustment for inflation. As the simple cost of living has gone up, the price of the second categoiry has gone up, even after adjustment.

This is not a complete accounting of the guitar industry and pricing, but it provides some inkling of how prices can seem to simultaneously get better AND worse.

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
not really consumer-centric when they don't take into account things like wage stagnation. however, they do make some important comments about branding that are important to keep in mind.

i would also point out what they said about the price of entry level guitars is spot on. you can get a darn good instrument for alot less money than you could 40 yrs ago.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
When you can get a custom LP for under $1000.00 USD and a very good off the shelf LP for $300.00, I would say prices have come down a lot.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
When you can get a custom LP for under $1000.00 USD and a very good off the shelf LP for $300.00, I would say prices have come down a lot.
If you only could get a custom LP or off the shelf one for those prices. I wish!

I suppose some people think you can get a Ferrari F50 for 10k.

upload_2017-6-10_10-15-55.jpeg

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
11,021 Posts
If you only could get a custom LP or off the shelf one for those prices. I wish!

I suppose some people think you can get a Ferrari F50 for 10k.

View attachment 94361
Fiero and Ferrari are pretty much the same thing, made in the same factory even... I heard from a friends neighbours cousin who lives out in Florida and could not be reached for comment at the time.

·
Premium Member
11,619 Posts
Fiero and Ferrari are pretty much the same thing, made in the same factory even... I heard from a friends neighbours cousin who lives out in Florida and could not be reached for comment at the time.
Either can be used to go to the store and pick up a loaf of bread. Neither can haul a 412, let alone a combo amp. So, YEP, same thing.

Let's just not talk about resale value or performance or quality or anything like that.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Rondo has a custom page now. Perhaps you have not seen it. There is no corporation that needs to be paid like Fender, PRS, Gibson, etc, so they can give you that for an affordable sum.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Reactions: oldfartatplay

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
My mistake, I took your comments to mean that you're familiar with the products on Rondo, besides price.
Let me repeat. Do some research.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts