The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Slashes Gibson LP Anaconda Burst? I have a studio right now and next week was going to upgrade to a standard... but then I came across this beauty.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Has anyone tried the Slashes Gibson LP Anaconda Burst? I have a studio right now and next week was going to upgrade to a standard... but then I came across this beauty.

Pics not showing up - maybe try a link?

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
There ya go! Couldn't figure that out for the life of me! lol
Don't do it!!!

I'm just thinking of resale. Not sure how you are with gear, but a lot of people here move gear like it's contaminated. If it's a keeper, and you like it you should get it. Green can be difficult to move (I've been there).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the other option was a flaming red, orange and yellow Standard which i wasn't attracted too lol I honestly just kind of want it because its Slash's but if it plays like shit then it wouldn't be worth it for me. I love my Studio but feel its time to upgrade a bit.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
The real answer, is you never know until you play it yourself. Do you know of one you can try out?

Personally, I can pick up a guitar in a store, find a stool, play it unplugged, and know in 2-5 minutes if it's going to be something I'll like. Sometimes I know instantly if it's not (neck is dramatically wrong shape or size for my preference). If the back of the neck is a little sticky, I know I can fix that in 3-5 minutes with some 1000-1500 grit sandpaper - not enough to remove much finish, just enough to knock the 'gloss' off it. Can be repolished like stock with a bit of work if you decide to sell it.

Unplugged, because there are a zillion great relatively inexpensive replacement pickups available these days, if I get home and plug it in and find it lacking some way.

After you decide if you like the looks, it's all about feel. Including
-weight
-neck shape
-neck size
-frets size and shape (do you like tall jumbos? low square 'fretless wonder' frets? Medium jumbo is what a ton of guitars come with stock.
-and then, how's the finishing? Any flaws that bother me? (I'm not picky, a bit of binding bleed or a bump in the lacquer doesn't stop me, but some won't buy anything but flawless). Are there sharp fret ends? Does it tune properly? (if not, generally nut issues but there can be other causes).

Go find one and try it out :) Welcome to GC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the problem, from what Ive read there are only 500 of these so to find one to try would be impossible. I actually have to order it and wait 60 days for it to come in. I think I may just go for it and if worse comes to worse i can always switch it out or go to a standard as I originally planned.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
They had one in Edmonton. I tried it and liked the feel, great neck for sure, larger like an R8. The finish was stellar, similar to VOS if I remember correctly, although green isn't my first choice. The guitar didn't last long even though it was a pricey item. You are correct they only made a small amount of them so getting one now would be a bit tougher.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
If you are ordering it from L&M, they have a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
If you are ordering it from L&M, they have a 30 day return policy if you don't like it.
Check the fine print for special order returns though. If you leave the store with something I don't think you'll necessarily get hit, but to return it you will have to pay the re-stocking fee, which I believe is a percentage of the cost.

If you can afford a brand new Gibson LP, I would suggest tracking down a good vintage one instead.

·
Premium Member
8,555 Posts
Check the fine print for special order returns though. If you leave the store with something I don't think you'll necessarily get hit, but to return it you will have to pay the re-stocking fee, which I believe is a percentage of the cost.

If you can afford a brand new Gibson LP, I would suggest tracking down a good vintage one instead.
Don't some goldtops turn green? Ha.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm gna do it lol whats the worst that could happen. I think I'm going to keep my Studio though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
They’re great guitars. I would have one but I opted for one of the new Slash ‘58 models instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It's only related to Slash because Gibson wanted to sell some guitars and told him to play it for a few shows on the latest tour. I haven't seen him play it since the ad came out.

·
Premium Member
17,350 Posts
I'm gna do it lol whats the worst that could happen. I think I'm going to keep my Studio though.
The worst that could happen is being hosed on resale. But its limited so who knows.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
The worst that could happen? You're left with a choice between keeping a guitar that you paid a ton for but don't really enjoy playing OR you sell it and take a significantly worse beating than you would if you bought a more traditional looking LP. Between the two choices, I'm not sure which I would consider worse.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's only related to Slash because Gibson wanted to sell some guitars and told him to play it for a few shows on the latest tour. I haven't seen him play it since the ad came out.
I went and saw Guns N Roses a few months ago and he sounded fantastic, I didn't know about these Anaconda Bursts yet though so I wasn't paying too much attention to what he was playing and when (he went through like 10 guitars the entire show) but its Slash, Im pretty sure the guy can play anything and have it sound good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The worst that could happen? You're left with a choice between keeping a guitar that you paid a ton for but don't really enjoy playing OR you sell it and take a significantly worse beating than you would if you bought a more traditional looking LP. Between the two choices, I'm not sure which I would consider worse.
The price I'm getting this guitar for, I honestly don't think I'd have a problem getting the money back for it. Ive scoured the internet checking on prices and it seems I'm getting it for the lowest possible price out there. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though, and that I love it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts