The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of sick of Bell. The price is constantly increasing and my internet seems SLOW. I just did an online test and I got a speed of 5.89, but the quality of video on my Rogers NHL Live is brutal (I actually pay for the service, I am not streaming illegally). Netflix plays fine, but NHL live looks like video from the 80s that constantly stutters and blurs.

I need more speed, but I don't love the idea of giving Bell even more money every month! Has anyone used TekDavvy for internet?

Other options?

TG

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
We have them. Going to switch to start for unltd data and higher speed for only an extra $10/mo.

Have been noticing interruptions, but they piggyback rogers lines so Im not blaming them.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
There's always the option of getting a place beside a hospital so you have free internet.

I'm joking, but some people do that. I've heard Canada has some of, if not the worst internet/wireless rates in the world.

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
There's always the option of getting a place beside a hospital so you have free internet.

I'm joking, but some people do that. I've heard Canada has some of, if not the worst internet/wireless rates in the world.
Yup. We get the short end compared to pretty much everyone else who has internet and cell phones.

Dont ask your american or european friends what they pay.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
I was with Bell. Old grandfathered package, and with new promos I could get the new fiber to your house for the same cost. Wouldn't give me the promo price after 15ish years of being a customer, and like the OP I had some issues (some occasional slowness, but more annoying was the constant need to reset my connection when it dropped). It's been a while but it also used to be that I'd get throttled for a week at a time every few months - I couldn't keep a VPN connection to work open if I wasn't pumping traffic through it because it would detect idle and drop my connection (reconnect as soon as I did something, but VPN would already be broken and I'd have to reconnect to work). Had the same issue with some of the remote /home workers I support and their connections, but I think they stopped doing that in the last year or so as telecommuting is much more popular and too many people complained and called them on it (first level support knew nothing; I'd have to ask them to escalate to their manager, who would not admit anything, but put me on hold for a bit , come back and everything would be better; shady as shit).

So went with TekSavvy a month ago and it's actually a lot better. You never get the advertised speeds from anyone, but it's more stable and closer to it than I ever got with Bell; no bogging down during peak hours as before. Also 1/3rd the price (for dble the advertised speed; caught a promo before it ended). But you can't get Bell's fastest service through them (the new fiber to your door ones; only trad DSL over phone line). What you can get is well good enough, and for the price I ain't complaining because it's a huge improvement. It's almost as if Bell was making their lower end packages shittier than advertised on purpose to upsell people; on paper my TS connection isn't that much better, but in practise I'm flying (esp uploads; like when I post content, music etc, to my website or whatever - I do a lot of FTP sharing within the band to check mixes - WAV not MP3 so large files etc).

Yes TS resells Bell (and Rogers) services, but they buy wholesale bulk bandwidth from Bell and so Bell ain't making as much money on it as they would if you subscribed direct to them. Additionally, it bypasses a lot of their network management stuff (throttling etc) which is the main advantage.

Now that you don't have to buy your own modem to use them it's just a no brainer . Also their support is kickass; won't tell you to disconnect your own routing gear but will help you get it to work with their stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I went with Teksavvy over a year ago and have no regrets. Cheaper and better service than Rogers.

Reactions: greco

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,821 Posts
We went with E-Box for home internet. Cheapest I could find at the time. Less reliable (connection issue at least once a week), but the speed is always consistent (DSL). We also don't live on or rely on the internet, so it isn't the end of the world if it is down for an hour. I suppose if you're constantly streaming video or gaming online, you might want something more reliable so it doesn't interrupt things.

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Has anyone used TekDavvy for internet?
It was several years ago but yes, used them for a project for over a year. Good service, support, and rates.

Someone in a preceding message says that they piggyback on Rogers lines. Maybe, but they came into our offices on Bell lines.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,821 Posts
Someone in a preceding message says that they piggyback on Rogers lines. Maybe, but they came into our offices on Bell lines.
TekSavvy offers the option of Cable (via Rogers lines) or DSL (via Bell lines). So, it depends what service you choose.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
This has been touched on but I will give my experiences. If you are getting crappy speeds and outages with Bell/Rogers that relate to issues outside your home, then switching companies is likely going to have very little effect. All the re-sellers use Bell and Rogers lines (Bell-DSL, Rogers -cable), except Wightman who actually have their own fibre in some area. In a lot of places, especially newer housing developments, the lines in homes are just garbage it seems.

If say all you have is say 6 MB DSL in your area with Bell and no other options, then that's likely all Tek Savvy can give you. And, always call them about speeds because I found their web site to be completely inaccurate as far as what plans they offer in an area. EG cable plans that weren't available would popup.

This relates to another issue that I ran into with Tek Savvy. There was a major outage in Orangeville about 2 years ago. And Rogers would not fill them in on any details. So they were able to do absolutely nothing and didn't even have anything to tell me. This lasted about a week. And the few other service calls I had to have them do during the time I used them really did not go well either. For one of them, they had to end up sending a Rogers tech anyway.

I hate the big companies. But at this point Rogers rates aren't much more than the re-sellers in my town for the really high packages (I have GB here). And if something does go wrong, I know this sounds crazy, but Rogers is way more likely to be able to fix it quicker. I can't believe I am even saying that. But I have been back on Rogers for 2 years, and that has been the case.

I used Tek Savvy DSL and Cable for 5 years and it was generally very good. But when I really had issues with them, they just did not come through at all customer support wise. I use my internet to work from home, and that last big outage made me realize the limitations of using them.

Edit: also of note, when I have reported repeat problems to Rogers, I have been refunded a month. When that Teksavvy issue occurred up here, they gave a refund for 2 days. That was another thing that soured me due to how awful their communication was during the time.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
They use both - Bell for DSL and Rogers for cable.

This has been touched on but I will give my experiences. If you are getting crappy speeds and outages with Bell/Rogers that relate to issues outside your home, then switching companies is likely going to have very little effect. All the re-sellers use Bell and Rogers lines (Bell-DSL, Rogers -cable), except Wightman who actually have their own fibre in some area. In a lot of places, especially newer housing developments, the lines in homes are just garbage it seems.

If say all you have is say 6 MB DSL in your area with Bell and no other options, then that's likely all Tek Savvy can give you. And, always call them about speeds because I found their web site to be completely inaccurate as far as what plans they offer in an area. EG cable plans that weren't available would popup.

This relates to another issue that I ran into with Tek Savvy. There was a major outage in Orangeville about 2 years ago. And Rogers would not fill them in on any details. So they were able to do absolutely nothing and didn't even have anything to tell me. This lasted about a week. And the few other service calls I had to have them do during the time I used them really did not go well either. For one of them, they had to end up sending a Rogers tech anyway.

I hate the big companies. But at this point Rogers rates aren't much more than the re-sellers in my town for the really high packages (I have GB here). And if something does go wrong, I know this sounds crazy, but Rogers is way more likely to be able to fix it quicker. I can't believe I am even saying that. But I have been back on Rogers for 2 years, and that has been the case.

I used Tek Savvy DSL and Cable for 5 years and it was generally very good. But when I really had issues with them, they just did not come through at all customer support wise. I use my internet to work from home, and that last big outage made me realize the limitations of using them.

Edit: also of note, when I have reported repeat problems to Rogers, I have been refunded a month. When that Teksavvy issue occurred up here, they gave a refund for 2 days. That was another thing that soured me due to how awful their communication was during the time.
It's not that simple because some of the 'problems outside your home' are network policies which do not apply to Tekksavy; as a bulk purchaser they have negotiated better terms in that regard; they get a certain amount of bandwith and police it the way they like which, in my limited experience, is better already.

Secondly, I do think that there was an issue outside my house (former owner had Rogers phone and the 2 lines were switched, When I moved in with Bell they 'fixed' that, and when I went to TS, the Bell guy, cuz they use Bell techs, or Rogers if cable, actually found the issue and had to fix it; just like the network policy they also have SLAs for the install and infrastructure support.... which Bell may fight back on, occasionally disregard, or may depend on what tech person you get coming to your house etc I suppose).

·
Registered
569 Posts
100% happy with them. They only changed my price once - they lowered it.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
They use both - Bell for DSL and Rogers for cable.

It's not that simple because some of the 'problems outside your home' are network policies which do not apply to Tekksavy; as a bulk purchaser they have negotiated better terms in that regard; they get a certain amount of bandwith and police it the way they like which, in my limited experience, is better already.
This is true but the end result doesn't really matter. As I said, Tek Savvy could not provide good service because of issues out of their control. So I am simply warning people that that can be a possibility. It's just not a simple case of Tek Savvy being 'better' or 'worse' though I wish it was. It's affected by conditions in your area.

And another issue you can run into, Tek Savvy actually doesn't offer 2 of the higher speed packages that Rogers has in my neighborhood. I planned to give Tek Savvy another shot when I moved in here because I still had their hardware.

Please don't anyone think I am a Rogers supporter. I am not. But you need to really research how well each option works in your area. In my case, Rogers simply had better service.

I work on the Internet all day (web design work) and am pretty well versed in networking as well. Using the term 'outside your home' doesn't need to be in quotes as you did. There are issues related to internal networking you can control, and issues related to the lines coming into your house that you can't. That term was just a simple way to explain it to someone who might not be aware.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
And another issue you can run into, Tek Savvy actually doesn't offer 2 of the higher speed packages that Rogers has in my neighborhood.
Yes, I mentioned the same thing with regards to Bell - you can't get their latest fiber to your door service, but you really don't need that unless you're doing something serious and demanding (like streaming doesn't count).

Not just your hood, Rogers and Bell won't let them have it for competitive advantage reasons; I touched on what I think of their strategy around that above. They are pushing those aggressively. I had multiple Bell people come to my door to sell me on it before I switched. They both seemed unaware that I already had Bell DSL (which in itself is hilarious) so they couldn't give me the promo price (a hair less than I was already paying) or sign me up on the spot as they were tasked with doing and when I called they took a week to run it up the flagpole and come back with another no, so I jumped ship.

Yes there will be stuff out of their control, but you'd likely still have that same issue being on the equivalent Bell/Rogers service in the same hood. Maybe not. I get you had that experience, but you admit it was beyond their control, and frankly, there ain't never been, nor will ever be a company or service that doesn't fail someone sometime. I haven't been with them long but they seem to have gone the distance for me already, but we'll see how that goes in the future.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out Primus for another option. We've been with them about five years now, unlimited download for a very reasonable price, and the service has been pretty reliable.

·
Premium Member
5,077 Posts
Yes, I mentioned the same thing with regards to Bell - you can't get their latest fiber to your door service, but you really don't need that unless you're doing something serious and demanding (like streaming doesn't count).

Not just your hood, Rogers and Bell won't let them have it for competitive advantage reasons; I touched on what I think of their strategy around that above. They are pushing those aggressively. I had multiple Bell people come to my door to sell me on it before I switched. They both seemed unaware that I already had Bell DSL (which in itself is hilarious) so they couldn't give me the promo price (a hair less than I was already paying) or sign me up on the spot as they were tasked with doing and when I called they took a week to run it up the flagpole and come back with another no, so I jumped ship.

Yes there will be stuff out of their control, but you'd likely still have that same issue being on the equivalent Bell/Rogers service in the same hood. Maybe not. I get you had that experience, but you admit it was beyond their control, and frankly, there ain't never been, nor will ever be a company or service that doesn't fail someone sometime. I haven't been with them long but they seem to have gone the distance for me already, but we'll see how that goes in the future.
You are missing one key point though that led to my switch. Rogers just seems more capable of actually addressing any serious issues that arise. Tek Savvy was great... until I actually needed anything support beyond basic support. Their support call windows were actually worse than Rogers, which is amazing. So that is really the only reason I am with Rogers right now.

Smart is in also our area, who are a great option as well. But I know people who have run into the exact same scenario with them.

I hate that I have to support Rogers lol. But this connection is for my work. Unlike a lot of people I actually am online with my home connection for whole days and nights at a time. So I get a very good read of what's working and what's not.

Also, I fully know a lot of these issues are related to Bell and Rogers trying to stick to the re-sellers and that sucks. But that doesn't change the requirements for service on my end. I have to go with what I can count on. If this wasn't my work connection, I would be likely trying out Smart right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts