The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here use hiking (trekking) poles? My ability to move on anything but flat ground is compromised by arthritis in knees, age, and the weight that came along with the resulting lower activity level. My sense balance is not what it used to be as a result. I saw another senior walking around with hiking poles (And she had to weigh 1/3 of what I did) and I thought WTF?. Why didn't I think about it be before? There is also the transfer of a bit of the work to the arms. I don't mind walking around, even if it is as cold as -20C, as long as there isn't much wind.

I see these things costing from $30 to $200 as set. I don't see this as too different from buying a strat. You have everything from a Squier Bullet to Fender Custom Shop. I settled on what I call a premium MIM model with some American parts (a Jimmie Vaughan Sig). The law of diminishing returns kicks in here some place, especially on a retirement income. So if anyone has knows anything or has experience,... Thank you.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I like to have one with me on long hikes through the country or along the shoreline. Not for the normal walks around the harbour though.

·
Premium Member
2,266 Posts
I have a set of MSR Talus trekking poles that adjust, are very rugged and they work very well. I use them occasionally for snowshoeing or backpacking on difficult terrain, but they would work for just about anything. They were on sale at the time for 69$ (at the Last Hunt in QC) but usually are about 140 or so. I'm not sure MSR still makes them, which is too bad as they were bombproof.

MEC has some very decent ones by Gabel and Komperdell for around $70 that should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm seeing more and more people walking with hiking poles,even in small towns.
I have a walking stick cut from my cherry tree that I use for cross country/uneven ground excursions.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
I see a lot of people in my area using them. I wish i would have had a set when i got bit by one of my neighbours dogs a month ago. Now if i go for a walk, i'm taking my 7 iron.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been walking in the parks and trails along the North Saskatchewan Riven. Flat, but uneven. If I move suddenly the knee the wrong way, it reminds me with a mini ice pick stab. That can throw you off balance. There is an MEC store a 15 minute drive down Calgary Trail at the South Edmonton Common. They also have them at Atmosphere, a 15 minute bus ride downtown. $70 or so was the price range I was considering.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The poles look silly but actually contribute to your workout. Lots of elderly here use them. Even the mall walkers.

·
Premium Member
4,499 Posts
I have been walking in the parks and trails along the North Saskatchewan Riven. Flat, but uneven. If I move suddenly the knee the wrong way, it reminds me with a mini ice pick stab. That can throw you off balance. There is an MEC store a 15 minute drive down Calgary Trail at the South Edmonton Common. They also have them at Atmosphere, a 15 minute bus ride downtown. $70 or so was the price range I was considering.
Well worth the investment considering that a broken leg or hip is not a good alternative. Enjoy your walk, something we take for granted sometimes.

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
My local Costco had them the other day. Might be worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
A very good idea for those who would benefit. I have an elderly acquaintance who uses them and she's way more confident with them, and lots of folks around the family cottage use them.

I use a single wading staff when fishing sometimes. It wouldn't be exaggerating to say it's a life saver.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My local Costco had them the other day. Might be worth checking out.
I don't bother with Costco. I'm single and on a pension. Don't know if I can justify the membership cost.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
We have a pair my wife uses when we go snowshoeing. You don't need an expensive pair and if they give you more confidence when you walk, then go for it. It will be a wise choice.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I have a really good one which I use on all my hikes. It has a built in shock absorber, changeable foot (spike or rubber) and it also has a removable top so I can use it as a monopod for my camera. It will definitely help your knees last longer, both my knees are fubarred from playing hockey and the one pole makes a huge difference. If you climb a particularly high hill you can extend it and lean on it like Ken Dryden to catch your breath. LOL
I would try one pole first to see how you like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a Swagman though it's only a single. I have this issue with my left knee when it feels like it would fold over forward. Patelo femoral syndrome is what my doctor calls it. I thought it would help when I do my daily walkabouts but more often than not, I just leave it at home.

If you are interested, let me know and we can arrange a meet.

·
Premium Member
13,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a pair at MEC. My membership info was over 15 years out of date, but hey. As for my first outing in the snow -16C.

·
Registered
18,577 Posts
Got a pair at MEC. My membership info was over 15 years out of date, but hey. As for my first outing in the snow -16C.

Good for you. Being able to get out and to feel more comfortable and safe is a real bonus.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts