The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at picking up a cab from Wildwood Guitars, anyone have any experience shipping using Fedex from the US?

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Yes. It will be fast if it is express but you will definitely be hit with taxes and a brokerage fee. The brokerage fee will be dependent on the value of the item. Additionally there may be other small fees such as the COD which is collection on delivery. If it all possible request to get a quote from USPS. You’ll still pay taxes more than likely but won’t be hit with the other stuff.

P

·
0 Posts
I will only ship USPS to Canada Post. Usually no brokerage fees, but if there are, it is $5. Most of the time no HST or fees of any kind.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I know another member is always getting grief for mentioning this, for some reason, but I’m also a big propenent of having things shipped to a parcel pickup company in the U.S.

Fredericton is only an hour and a bit from the border, so if you have your passport and a vehicle, it is definitely worth it to use a sevice like that. You will often get free shipping when shipped inside the U.S, and you avoid the brokerage fees.

They have these in Houlton and Calais. You should also be able to have the item shipped to a Fedex depot with “Hold at Depot”.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I just got a guitar from Wildwood and it was shipped Fedex. Had to pay HST, but the brokerage charge was very low, around $10.00 if I remember correctly. I was expecting a large brokerage fee so was pleasantly surprised.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I will only ship USPS to Canada Post. Usually no brokerage fees, but if there are, it is $5. Most of the time no HST or fees of any kind.
Canada Post will normally collect HST on high dollar items, but smaller stuff usually gets through with no fees or tax. I got lucky on a $3,500.00 guitar once....absolutely no charges :)

P

·
0 Posts
I got 2 sets of Tronical tuners from Germany ($700) no charges a long time ago.

I found when I used a freight forward reshipping company I got dinged for everything always. Once I even got a $10 handling fee from Canada Post. I stopped using the reship model.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just got a guitar from Wildwood and it was shipped Fedex. Had to pay HST, but the brokerage charge was very low, around $10.00 if I remember correctly. I was expecting a large brokerage fee so was pleasantly surprised.
Thanks! Was it fedex ground?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The thing with fedex, is if they decide you owe them money....you have to pay. I once got hit with a 75$ brokerage fee on a 50$ item, that was supposed to have all the fees paid. I ignored it, and they sent a Canadian collection agency after me. You don't pay, your credit goes to crap.

P

·
0 Posts
The thing with fedex, is if they decide you owe them money....you have to pay. I once got hit with a 75$ brokerage fee on a 50$ item, that was supposed to have all the fees paid. I ignored it, and they sent a Canadian collection agency after me. You don't pay, your credit goes to crap.
Dispute it. You can put explanations on your credit history. At least years ago you could.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I know another member is always getting grief for mentioning this, for some reason, but I’m also a big propenent of having things shipped to a parcel pickup company in the U.S.

Fredericton is only an hour and a bit from the border, so if you have your passport and a vehicle, it is definitely worth it to use a sevice like that. You will often get free shipping when shipped inside the U.S, and you avoid the brokerage fees.

They have these in Houlton and Calais. You should also be able to have the item shipped to a Fedex depot with “Hold at Depot”.
I live about an hour from the border and I do the same thing when receiving from the USA. The shipping cost is also usually WAY cheaper if you keep it inside the US border.

I've even had CBSA wave me through once or twice without collecting the taxes. Its rare but it can happen.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I got 2 sets of Tronical tuners from Germany ($700) no charges a long time ago.

I found when I used a freight forward reshipping company I got dinged for everything always. Once I even got a $10 handling fee from Canada Post. I stopped using the reship model.
I had to google tronical tuners. Looks neat, why didn't gibson think of that??

P

·
0 Posts
I had to google tronical tuners. Looks neat, why didn't gibson think of that??
Most people I know don't like them, but I love them. They sometimes screw up, but I can live with it. Press a button, strum (a couple of times)- open G. Down 1/2 step. Drop D. Back to 440.

They upgraded the unit and offered it at a good price so I did it. I is a bit faster and accurate. If you are thinking about getting a set try to get the ones with a + sign on the face. That's the newest regular set. They also have a new version that interfaces with a phone.

This is the Plus Tuner:

This is the Powertune that has an app:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts