The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These were the last glory years of full unrestricted and unlimited racing. Those days will never be eqauled. It was too dangerous anymore to try and develop a road race car/rocket hybrid. Lasted some few years and was gone forever.Yea, the CAn-AM(Canadian American circuit!):food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Oh yeah! Saw it at Mosport in 1970. When those cars came around for their first lap, it felt like 8.7 on the Richter scale. What a rush !!!

Reactions: Wardo

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Resurrection thread.

Went to lots of those races as well as the F1 races at Mosport and they tell me I had a good time.

Also went to a vintage Can-Am race at Mosport a few years ago; Brian Redman and George Follmer were driving. They hammered it for the first few laps and then it settled down into a cruise.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
CAN-AM was awesome!! There are PC racing sims that have the CAN-AM cars as mods. They were BEASTS!! Absolutely beautiful pieces of machinary.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Ah, the Wayback Machine strikes again...

As a kid I went to Mosport a couple of times with my Dad, uncle, and cousin for both the Can-Am and F1 before the one shut down and the other moved to Montreal. Don't remember much, except that Niki Lauda won the last F1 I was at. I do remember thinking that it was pretty cool, though. I had a couple of Can-Am cars for my AFX slot car set too.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I grew up with a father that raced local oval tracks, so NASCAR was on every Sunday. I got some sneak peeks at Can Am and other forms of GT and Euro racing, but not many. Not until I moved out on my own did I really get to start seeing other forms of racing.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Them were the days. Seen a Can Am race on the down town streets of Hamilton back then. Edit no it was formula Atlantic. Can Am I seen at Mosport about 80

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I remember Mosport Park, Watkins Glen and Mid-Ohio...My-ex brother inlaw raced formula 2 for 2 seasons. I remember him taking me for a ride in a Mini Cooper S on the backroads when I was 9...was all four wheel high speed drifts and handbrake turns quite a ride. He developed hero status in my opinion after that ride

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Resurrection thread.

Went to lots of those races as well as the F1 races at Mosport and they tell me I had a good time.

Also went to a vintage Can-Am race at Mosport a few years ago; Brian Redman and George Follmer were driving. They hammered it for the first few laps and then it settled down into a cruise.

A 14 year old thread? Really? You couldn't just start a new one???

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
A 14 year old thread? Really? You couldn't just start a new one??
Hey, don't we already have a "resurrected" thread monitor?
I went to the one in Edmonton in '71 but that's about it. They didn't have any on the Coast or around Seattle.

·
Premium Member
10,043 Posts
A 14 year old thread? Really? You couldn't just start a new one???
you guys that get annoyed with necro posts have to accept that the format of this forum, with the "recommended reading" threads going back for years at the bottom of each page, encourages this sort of thing.

i dont see the big deal personally.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
you guys that get annoyed with necro posts have to accept that the format of this forum, with the "recommended reading" threads going back for years at the bottom of each page, encourages this sort of thing.

i dont see the big deal personally.

I was busting @Wardo's balls more than anything.

But yeah, the recommended reading feature is absolute shit and needs to be turned off.

·
Registered
14,000 Posts
I was busting @Wardo's balls more than anything.

But yeah, the recommended reading feature is absolute shit and needs to be turned off.
Unless you weren't around when the thread was posted or missed it and find it interesting. Like the man said, it's no big deal. When you look at it there's a date when it was posted. If you don't like the thread, don't click on it.

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
I used to go to see the motorcycle racing in the early 70's and caught a few Can-Am races at the same time. The bike races were more interesting for me.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
Yeah, bike racing there was good too. Mosport is a great track and a lot of fun to drive; has lots of elevation changes and it's so big compared to the other tracks around here that it doesn't seem like you're going all that fast - then you realize that the motor has tached out a 6 grand. .. lol

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
too young to see the original CAN AM races, but have been to Mosport plenty of times for the vintage races: they had can am cars there one year

unfortunately I saw the demise of the ex-Villeneuve Walter Wolf Dallara, driven by Dino Crescentini, who was a really nice fellow. RIP

unbelievable amount of power: I used to stand by Moss corner and watch them disappear up the long back straight, roaring engine sounds echoing through the trees

not my footage:

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
unfortunately I saw the demise of the ex-Villeneuve Walter Wolf Dallara, driven by Dino Crescentini, who was a really nice fellow. RIP
Yeah, I remember that; I wasn’t there but it wasn’t that long ago.

I read somewhere that Villeneuve did not want to drive that car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts