The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked it up at Walmart last night on a whim, and got about 75 pages in. No sign of David yet.

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly too soon to say. The dust jacket promises ‘warts and all’ but he’s not rocking yet at the point I’m at, still a teenager.

·
Registered
11,958 Posts
I'm still in contact with David through FB.

He had mentioned that he was considering unloading some gear and I told him that I knew of a place that he could do that. :)
I told him to just stay out of the political forum, ha! He was thinking about it.

Let us know more as you get further please and thanks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think this was about four years ago.... one day I commented on a FB post Myles had made on the April Wine FB page. Later I see that Myles had sent me a FB friend request.

So I accept it and took a quick glance at his page.

An hour or so later I go to look at his page again and hmmm....we're not friends. He had un-friended me. Lol.

Whether he had accidentally hit the friend request button in the first place and then corrected his error or what, I dunno. I just thought it was kinda funny. Friended and un-friended by Myles Goodwin in less than two hours. Lol.

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm around pg 110, and April Wine has more or less just formed, written some tunes, got an agent, put out an album, and begun to tour. Not much in the way of juicy details. David is credited with the band name, in a very offhand/dismissive way it seems to me. And there are a couple of quotes from him, that don't shed much information.

Myles goes into a TON of detail about his early life obviously, if it takes 100 pages to get to April Wine. Most of it not all that compelling, though a few shenanigans stories that are sorta interesting. I'll say that music wasn't his first love or priority as a teenager, and he never sang in his early bands.

More to follow.

·
Registered
14,914 Posts
May have to check that one out...
Recently finished Dennis Dunaway's--that was an interesting read....

·
Registered
410 Posts
As I mentioned above, Myles book was a great read, but if you're looking for an even better read pick up a copy of John Fogerty's Fortunate Son. The sh#t that he endured including the betrayal by his band mates was unconscionable.

TD

·
Premium Member
8,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished it up 2 nights ago. Ends up being a decent autobio, though I wanted more detail in certain areas (the writing of specific songs, funny/interesting partying stories) and less in others (100 pages to get to being in bands etc). Does go into/through the personnel changes and the reasons from his viewpoint, there were many more of those than I thought.

Anyone around Edmonton wants this, we can meet up at a L&M or wherever and I'll hand it off.

·
Premium Member
17,604 Posts
@keto Thanks for the review.

I am at page 85 of the Joni Mitchell autobiography and I am VERY impressed.
The author interviewed many other friends/musicians (e.g., Leonard Cohen, David Crosby) for the writing of the book and that adds a lot of interest, IMO.
In general, Joni is one heck of a character!

·
Registered
329 Posts
picked it up at Walmart last night on a whim, and got about 75 pages in. No sign of David yet.
I enjoyed this book I guess being a huge April Wine fan added to my intrigue!
I also have had a few text/emails with David, I have been trying to get down and visit him and buy some gear...I really hope I can get down before the weather gets nasty!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts