The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think tomorrow I'm buying a Dyson V8 Absolute. They are on sale everywhere right now. I have done some research, and for what I want it seems to be the best deal, even though it's about $300 too much. They are regularly $700, but everyone has them on sale for $574.

Anyone have one? The other unit I looked at was the Shark IonFlex 2x. It is not hepa rated though, and the design puts strain on the wrist as the weight is forward of the handle. The Shark's batteries (x 2) are removable like a drill gun, but the Dyson isn't. The trigger on the Dyson has to be held on to run, but the Shark has an on lock. But the balance and hepa are why I'm going Dyson.

·
Registered
9,687 Posts
We've got an Animal upright and a handheld Animal battery-powered one. Both have been exceptional. The handheld (like the stick you're looking at but without the stick) keeps finding new uses every day. But you're right - they ain't cheap.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My wife bought a Dyson rechargeable vacuum cleaner a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Still going strong.

The V8 must be a newer model, as ours looks similar but is not as colourful (pretty much all grey).

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We've got an Animal upright and a handheld Animal battery-powered one. Both have been exceptional. The handheld (like the stick you're looking at but without the stick) keeps finding new uses every day. But you're right - they ain't cheap.
Thanks. I am getting the Dyson V8 tomorrow. I just wish they had swappable batteries. All it would take is a release system like a $20 drill gun has. A trigger lock is the other negative.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife bought a Dyson rechargeable vacuum cleaner a couple of years ago when it was on sale. Still going strong.

The V8 must be a newer model, as ours looks similar but is not as colourful (pretty much all grey).
The models I know about are the V6, V7, V8, and the new $800-$900 V10. The V10 has some major design changes but some reviews are liking the V8 better.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
I’ve got an older Dyson. The powerhead is useless if you have pets...fur /hair gets wrapped up in the roller and it isn’t strong enough to blast through it so you’re constantly disassembling it to get it going again.
Works great for most other things when you don’t use the powerhead.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve got an older Dyson. The powerhead is useless if you have pets...fur /hair gets wrapped up in the roller and it isn’t strong enough to blast through it so you’re constantly disassembling it to get it going again.
Works great for most other things when you don’t use the powerhead.
I saw a video on that. The new head for the V8 fixed the hair wrapping.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Just checked, we have the V6. My wife had had a few episodes of gunk or whatever getting stuck in the roller. She always managed to clear it on her own without breaking the powerhead, so I figure it is not a big deal.

We have no pets and we use the Dyson mainly for hard to reach places and the cars' interior. Our main vacuum cleaner is an old Hoover that has been around for ages.

The only gripe I have with the Dyson is that the filter thingy needs to be washed often.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just checked, we have the V6. My wife had had a few episodes of gunk or whatever getting stuck in the roller. She always managed to clear it on her own without breaking the powerhead, so I figure it is not a big deal.

We have no pets and we use the Dyson mainly for hard to reach places and the cars' interior. Our main vacuum cleaner is an old Hoover that has been around for ages.

The only gripe I have with the Dyson is that the filter thingy needs to be washed often.
Thanks. I have watched some videos and many grips about the V6 have been addressed in the V8. The powerhead was redesigned. The way it empties was changed significantly, and 2 hepa filters are there as well. The motor is more powerful and the battery much stronger. I think it lasts twice as long as the V6.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a couple of mods if you have a Dyson that is out of warranty.

·
Premium Member
11,093 Posts
We've been looking at one of those. Maybe it's time.

Unlike Diablo's experience, our older Dyson has been phenomenal. Two dogs and a cat (currently short hairs, but we did have a hair factory collie for years), and all the traffic from my students hasn't slowed the power head in the least. The detachable hose split once but Dyson replaced it, no questions asked.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I have a V8, its a handy little device. WE have two long haired cats, and I have to disassemble the power head about once every 2-3 months to clean out hair. Its designed to be very easy to disassemble and takes about two minutes to take apart, clean and put back together.

·
Premium Member
10,052 Posts
We've been looking at one of those. Maybe it's time.

Unlike Diablo's experience, our older Dyson has been phenomenal. Two dogs and a cat (currently short hairs, but we did have a hair factory collie for years), and all the traffic from my students hasn't slowed the power head in the least. The detachable hose split once but Dyson replaced it, no questions asked.
Wanna trade?;)
Lol

Reactions: Mooh
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If anyone is looking to buy a Dyson, Lowes and Canadian Tire have them discounted this week. But Lowes is offering an additional 15% off that price. I just got my local Canadian Tire to match it. So the V8 Absolute is regularly $700, but is on sale for $574. Less 15% = $487.90 + tax.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I got the Dyson V8 Absolute at Canadian Tire. They made the price matching very unpleasant. If you want the best price, try Lowes. From $700 to $574, then 15% off that. If you want they will also do free shipping on it too. The way they seemed so unhappy and unpleasant at Can Tire to do the price match I won't ever do that again.

Now it takes 5 hours to charge the battery. Crazy they don't have a battery swap system like a drill gun. (The Shark vacuum + other brands do have removable batteries.)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts