The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm waiting for word that I'll be able to repair my desktop PC or if I have to buy a new one after my recent power surge, I found it fairly easy to connect my notebook PC to my 24" monitor which I was really missing. I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is missing their old desktop.

Laptop Desktop.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,774 Posts
I have 2 desktops and a tablet mainly for carrying my music tab around with me. I have a single 24" screen in the office and 2 screens in the music room, a 24" and 21" I think.

I'm spoiled but 2 screens is the only way to fly if you're recording/mixing something.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Yes, I tried to resurrect my old desktop for music stuff, but it's hooped. Looking to put another desktop together, dedicated to my music space. I prefer a large monitor also

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
My desktop hasn't gone away, probably won't soon. As a software development manager in one of my (now former) lives and as a communications manager with video and photo and research needs in another life I've been spoiled using high-powered multi-SD-drive gaming PCs when I almost never play games, and two 30" monitors. Now I get impatient and frustrated using much less. The time saved in such a setup with even non-intensive tasks such as participation in Guitars Canada ;) is significant.

Obviously when I travel with Macbook and/or PC notebook (often both!) I feel very constrained. We're letting our business wind down and are contemplating months away each year when notebooks will be all I got. Those OLED roll-able monitors we've been teased about for a few years can't come soon enough for me! I'll daily be homesick for the PC I'll probably have for some time yet.

·
Premium Member
3,024 Posts
I've got smartphone, tablet, Laptop and Desktop. The smartphone is ok for quick use reviewing emails, web surfing, Youtube or lurking here, as is the tablet but I hate writing emails on either of them and forget about file manipulation. That's where the laptop/desktop wins for me. The best of the bunch for practicing and music playback and editing documents.

·
Premium Member
16,662 Posts
Its in a box in the basement. I need to fire it up to see if i ripped my CD collection to it or not.

I dont miss it.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
I bought a PokePad only because I got tired of watching the whole family on screens while I sat there.

I am beginning to hate this thing. It won't be replaced if it goes. I haven't owned a cell phone since 2005. Eff 'em.

As far as recording goes: go analog or go home (personal preference, not a condemnation of your method ;-)

I have a reel-to-reel, and the cheapest desktop possible (with Audacity only) for communicating via internet.

I found the iPad to be useless for music. But I may try one more thing: cheesy videos for this site. Maybe.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I'm old school. I still use desktop (AMD Phenom oc'd @ 3.5 ghz, H20 cooled, GTX680 gpu). 55" & 27" monitors. La Scala speakers with Altec 816 bins, Luxman power. I Youtube quite a bit, and raced my computer (on overclocking forums -- crunching Alzheimer's research numbers), and race N'03 hacks. The Beats HP Envy laptop, I had, couldn't cut the mustard -- too much bass for music, and too much heat for gaming. No fun building laptops, so desktop all the way.

People can slag my buying guitars without playing them, really not true that I buy without hearing them. Even my neighbours have heard them. :cool:

man cave
https://flic.kr/p/35814498224
man cranny
https://flic.kr/p/36480652852

·
Premium Member
9,530 Posts
I use my desktop daily, along with my Ipad...my laptop rarely gets used except as a backup or for travel.
Big monitor, big keyboard and mouse, tons of hard drive space...whats not to love?

·
Premium Member
11,633 Posts
I'm not missing my desktop - because I've never had one. Laptops only for me. I'm literally surrounded by desktops at work, maybe I have a complex.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The power supply died in my desktop a month ago. I have a replacement, but haven't bothered to install it. It's a five minute job. Maybe this winter I'll get around to it.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Desktop all the time because I draft a lot of written stuff and have documents all over my desk, and on the floor and anywhere else that they land. Laptops don't get used much. Iphone used a lot for emails and text but mainly the desktop. Also use dragon for dictation which works pretty good.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
zvex nano with a 60" monitor

·
Premium Member
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I have is a desktop. I dislike small monitor screens and don't need the portability of a laptop. You are now giving me the computer version of G.A.S. ...a 24" monitor looks very appealing.
It really is. My son has a 32" monitor and in my mind, it's too big. If you go shopping, look for a monitor with an HDMI input. Mine doesn't have it and I wish it did.

·
Registered
12,248 Posts
i use a desktop with a 27" monitor. i dislike laptops because of the small screen, flat tiny keyboard.
i use a wavy keyboard. like the jazz picks, once i started using it, i hate using anything else now. it took very little time for this to happen. i have had some really cool desktops in the past. but that was when i wad doing flight sim stuff. i don't need that kinda power now. just movies and surfing, and riffworks these days.

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I use a laptop for most of my web stuff. The desktop I use for recording. I haven't had the need to replace it. It's been running for at least 5 years now. I won't change it unless I need to. I go through laptops fast. I've had 3 since I got that desktop. And it's on all the time too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts