The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a MIA Standard Telecaster, I really love the neck, it's probably one of the best I've ever played, and the pickups are wonderful. And I want a tele type guitar in my collection. However the one thing that bothers me is the bluntness of the tele body. I have tedinosis in my right arm that I keep manageable with therapy, and up until I seriously spent some time playing a tele, I never truly aggravated it, not with strats, Les Pauls, 335s, or acoustics.

The American Tele bodies already have a belly cut, but what I really need is a forearm contour like a strat to keep my arm pain in check. I've looked at Warmoth bodies, but the price would end up pretty ridiculous for just a body, usually 250 -400 for most, then add 70-100 shipping all in USD, and the cheapest one I can get would probably end up $450 CAD once there's taxes and customs fees tacked on. Is there any place in Canada that can custom make a tele body with an arm contour for less than that?

L

·
0 Posts
Put a belt sander to the body that you have and refinish? (last resort)
There are a few makers/distributors on this site.
Hopefully, they'll chime in.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, just find a luthier, or even really any kind of woodworker, to modify & refinish the body you already have? Probably a luthier as the neck may need to come off & get reset, but then again...

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
+1 on modding the body if you love the neck & the guitar's a keeper.

Alastair Miller of Barncaster fame isn't too far from you (just south of 404/401). Great luthier, reasonable prices & a Tele fanatic so he'd do it right.

Or open your wallet for a Suhr, Anderson, etc. with the top & tummy contours.

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
Contact Andrew at Ayr Guitars (Ayr, Ontario near Cambridge). I can't comment on what his price would be but he does great work and I don't think you would be disappointed.

Check out his builds on his Facebook page.

Ayr Guitars

http://ayrguitars.ca/
StratCat is right. Andrew from Ayr Guitars does excellent work, and I can confirm his prices are very reasonable. He built and painted a Thinline Tele body for me and I love this guitar.

·
Mad Strappier
494 Posts
I've used an angle grinder, much faster. Clean up with a palm sander. only take you about an hour for both contoursssssss
Don't mind my mcguyver guitar bondage system LOL

·
Premium Member
17,315 Posts
So....If I was to visit Sask. to get you to do the contouring, do I get to relax in the lounge chair with a glass of wine while the work is being done?

The contour work looks great! Well done!

·
Mad Strappier
494 Posts
sure, you can even chat up my wife, she could use some attention!

Reactions: Roryfan

·
Mad Strappier
494 Posts
Wasn't offended in the slightest.. come on by BYOB - I'll kick your ass at Yahtzee 'til you plead for mercy

·
Premium Member
16,796 Posts
StratCat is right. Andrew from Ayr Guitars does excellent work, and I can confirm his prices are very reasonable. He built and painted a Thinline Tele body for me and I love this guitar.
This is a pretty good review!

·
Premium Member
8,574 Posts
DIY is the way to go if you want to be out min cash and are reasonably handy. Yes, you will depreciate the value of the guitar, if that matters.

I got a really fancy Tele body from Warmoth, well over double what you quoted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts