The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a 'fun' guitar that lets me do a bad EVH and heavier 80s impersonation when I want to feel 15 again. I had a nice Godin for this purpose but I just couldn't get used to the neck so I sold it.

Two 'interesting' guitar just popped up locally but I don't know my stuff well enough to assess the deal. First, is an 80s Kramer Pacer Deluxe claiming to be made in USA. I've tried to figure out the specifics on my own, but Kramer stuff seems all over the place by the mid 80s.

Kramer Pacer Deluxe USA (RARE 1984/85) Original | Guitares | Sherbrooke | Kijiji

Actually, there is another local Kramer too:

Spector NS-6 by Kramer avec Seymour Duncan (valeur de 250$) | Guitares | Sherbrooke | Kijiji

Finally, there is the following Gibson guitar I can barely find any info on. I'm not even sure if it's a Gibson given the price:

Guitare Gibson Explorer EX90 Custom Matthias Jabs Scorpions | Guitares | Sherbrooke | Kijiji

Any info greatly appreciated. There are so many fakes and forgotten crap lines/models from 'name' brands, I get confused.

TG

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
I remember Pacers. Not sure what you want to know. Nothing special about them other than the EVH connection.
Shredders are usually pretty cheap, or IMO an attractive value to those that want one.

Th explorer is interesting, except for the single pickup, single volume knob config. It's also 10%smaller body and 25.5 neck scale. All those add up to "undesirable" by the mass market.
Jabs played a more conventional explorer back in the day, so it's a little unauthentic as a design.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember Pacers. Not sure what you want to know. Nothing special about them other than the EVH connection.
I like that first Kramer listed.
Is this Pacer made in the USA as the ad claims? Were these guitars any good or were they a cheap budget model? Finally, does this price seem in line or is it too high? The last time I looked into a Charvel it turned out it was most likely a copy/knock off; I certainly don't want to get into that mess and one look at Ali Express sends chills down my spine.

Thanks too all the responded so far :)

TG

·
Premium Member
17,172 Posts
What specs do you want, whats the budget, and does it have to be built in the 80's?

·
Registered
511 Posts
The Pacer can be U.S. made, but they had a couple of companies producing parts for them, including a Canadian one. Often, the parts were made in Japan by ESP and assembled or "made" in the States. The body is likely poplar.

The Spectors are supposed to be pretty good, if you like the look of that particular model. Googling should tell you the specs.

Can't speak tot he Gibson, though I did see an ad for Gibson back in the 80s where they were selling guitars with the same paint jobs that Rudy Schenker and Matthias Jabs had on their Gibsons. You can look up the serial number through Gibson if you are unsure -- they are apparently pretty good about that -- or check online to see if it is one of the serial numbers used by "offshore manufacturers of inexpensive tributes."

·
Premium Member
10,045 Posts
Is this Pacer made in the USA as the ad claims? Were these guitars any good or were they a cheap budget model? Finally, does this price seem in line or is it too high? The last time I looked into a Charvel it turned out it was most likely a copy/knock off; I certainly don't want to get into that mess and one look at Ali Express sends chills down my spine.

Thanks too all the responded so far :)

TG
They were never an expensive guitar. The orig FR has some value. Find out what pickups it has.
Value is prob fair, b/c IMO ppl overpay for "vintage 80's" stuff. but again, its not in high demand so "rare" means little. how are the frets? any other issues?
I wont comment as to USA made or not. they used a lot of smoke and mirrors in those days when it came to origin.
these guys seems to know their Kramers. Vintage Kramer Guitar photos KRAMER KAFE Abalone Vintage satellite edition

·
Premium Member
8,513 Posts
It's more or less the setup of the amp and whatever pedals you got going on. I can do 80s metal with a banjo.

I'm doing some fantastic evh and nuno with my low output PAFs at the moment.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I don't trust Kramer anymore since I bought one back mid 80s and the based on the info on the instrument and from the salesman of Steve`s music store, it was US made... turns out it was Korean made... still a nice instrument but the price tag was for a US made and now the resell value is not there...

Will never try to sell it as a US made knowing what I know now...

Back in the 80`s , the Japan made instruments were the top quality...

Why not try an Aria, Ibanez, Westone..... Great quality for the price... plus plenty of pointy guitars during those years to get your Rocks off!!! HNG^%$

·
Premium Member
17,172 Posts
Esp mirages seem to be reasonably priced for what they are. Jackson performer series get a good rep too.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This website might be handy if you're looking at older Kramers:

V i n t a g e K r a m e r - The Online Resource for Vintage and New Kramer Guitars

There are some catalogs, lots of pictures, etc.

I bought a Kramer Focus from Steve's in Toronto in about 1984 or 85.

It was really nothing like the REAL Kramer they had, but it was a fraction of the price.

I struggled with that guitar for years before realizing it just really wasn't a very good guitar.

I still have it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
With the '84/'85 Kramer it could be made by ESP, with a neck done by Lasido (Godin) or another company that I can't recall off hand. In '86 they shifted production to ESP Japan for the American line. With the transition years they can really be hit or miss... I've owned several Baretta's and Pacers over the years and each one was different then the next. Some were good and others were not so much.

The Explorer is a fake. I currently own a V90 Double which came out at the same time as the E90 and had similar specs. The E90 would have come with a Gibson branded Schaller made in Germany trem, or a string through body. The pickup would have likely been a Bill Lawrence, they didn't come with Seymour's. The serial number is similar is also the same as a Korean fake from "rare electric guitar" Matthias Jabs Guitars price:$468 - Electric Guitars for sale

1 - 19 of 19 Posts