The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some gear recommendations, ...auger, shelter, rods, lures, nifty camera gadgets, etc.

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,171 Posts
I used to when I was a kid. Ice ain't what it used to be around here.
As in not fun anymore, or as in not as thick as it once was?

I'm not partial to fish, so I'm not any sort of fisherman, ice or otherwise. But I am curious. What sort of fish does one ice-fish for, and how different are the sizes? Also, do winter fish taste different in some way than non-winter fish?

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I'm not partial to fish, so I'm not any sort of fisherman, ice or otherwise. But I am curious. What sort of fish does one ice-fish for, and how different are the sizes? Also, do winter fish taste different in some way than non-winter fish?
I catch nothing but marlins this time of year.

·
Premium Member
25,171 Posts
It’s the killer whales coming through the ice hole after yer ass that kinda takes the fun out of it.
Just make the holes smaller, so you can punch 'em.

But seriously, what do people fish for this time of year, and are special licenses required, or is the assumption simply that nobody's going t catch very much?​

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just make the holes smaller, so you can punch 'em.

But seriously, what do people fish for this time of year, and are special licenses required, or is the assumption simply that nobody's going t catch very much?​
I wish they made something that could be used to search the internet for information,,..

·
Registered
15,219 Posts
Tried it once--I recommend not...

But hey--if it's your thing--go for it
Hope you get some serious answers, if you want them.

·
Registered
12,377 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts

Not as thick anymore. In Nova Scotia you're pretty much only allowed to ice fish for smelts.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried it once--I recommend not...

But hey--if it's your thing--go for it
Hope you get some serious answers, if you want them.
I used to do it way more often, it can be a good time. This year my brother asked if I wanted to go out and I just pulled all the old gear from the shelf. A few things need replacing/updating and I’ll take care of that today. I enjoy any type of fishing.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
If you pump best ice fishing gear 2018" into Google...tons of info. Or Bing it!

There. Now you don't have to wait for answers in case your thread gets irreparably derailed.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you pump best ice fishing gear 2018" into Google...tons of info. Or Bing it!

There. Now you don't have to wait for answers in case your thread gets irreparably derailed.
yes, I get it. Bing?!? people still use that?

I posted here to see if anyone has some personal tips to share rather than just going off of online consumer report reviews. What I didn’t do is cluelessly walk into your solderless kits thread and ask about fishing

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Good one! Did you remember my weeks old thread or did you have bother to look me up here to find something to "insult"? Me about?
Sorry, I shouldn't be derailing your thread anymore. Seems important to you. Good luck on the ice.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good one! Did you remember my weeks old thread or did you have bother to look me up here to find something to "insult"? Me about?
Sorry, I shouldn't be derailing your thread anymore. Seems important to you. Good luck on the ice.
all good, thanks for getting involved

1 - 20 of 43 Posts