The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have a power scaled amp? I'm looking at the London Power power scaling box but would like some opinions.

TG

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't own one, but had a chance to play one with both of my bands about a month ago. We're talking Suhr Badger here, and through my THD 2 X 12 cab it sounded amazing. For my country band I scaled it back about 30% to put it in the sweet spot yet keep the stage volume low. Maintains its tone as you scale it back. Then opened it up to play with my rock band. Same tone, just louder. This is the best alternative to master volumes and attenuators by far. After following all the stuff on the net, I'm pleased to say it works as well as advertised.
Killer, totally awesome amp by the way!-Eric

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric,

I saw a video demo for the Badger and it was very impressive how quiet it would go and still retain tone. Did you think it worked a lot better than a power attenuator?

I've read a couple guys say that power scaling is better in amps whose circuit was designed with power scaling in mind. However, I suspect some people just slap it into their amps without totally thinking it thru (in particular, exactly where to put the drive control).

TG

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I've been using power scaled amps for a few years now. Currently using a Stephenson custom LJ15 head (with a new 30 watt combo on order). I had a couple of London Power studio amps in the past and they were excellent amps too.

Lot's of builders around offering power scaling now (i.e. London Power, Stephenson, Soultone, Reeves, Suhr, Corybuilt, Kingsley, etc...)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Invasive add-on

I looked into power scaling for my bigger amps and found out that the kit was more invasive than I was lead to believe. I nixed that idea because I didn't want to mod at that level (affect the future value of that amp). Apparently who you get to install it is also key (obviously).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts