The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blackface, Silverface, Reissue, etc....

I remember when you would see Twins everywhere, especially Silverface. Now it seems like you hardly see them anywhere anymore, even the Reissues.

I guess I wouldn't want to lug one around either, but I'd use one at home if I had one.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I have a Traynor twin ( YGL Mark Three ) set up in my living room aswell as my Harmony 415 right now...

I'm a bass player so these 212 amps are no big deal compared to a bass rig...

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
I used a red knob from the early '90s with a band for years.

That amp was freaking loud, even in the low/25 watt setting.
That's all I used it in, the low setting.

When an amp comes with casters, it's a brute.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
I use a Mesa F-100 for my Twin needs. It matches and surpasses a Twin in every way. It works well at any volume, including a bedroom amp, or with headphones.

The cleans are stellar, the master volume actually works extremely well, it has a channel that grinds in a Mashallesque way, it’s heavier, and most importantly, makes a Tele or Strat a heavenly, eargasmic experience.

·
Premium Member
4,391 Posts
I still have my 1988 The Twin. Haven't gigged with it in over 10 years now. But that was my gigging amp from 96 to 07. I had casters on it coz it was heavy. Probably needs a recap now.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
Blackface, Silverface, Reissue, etc....

I remember when you would see Twins everywhere, especially Silverface. Now it seems like you hardly see them anywhere anymore, even the Reissues.

I guess I wouldn't want to lug one around either, but I'd use one at home if I had one.
I see them often enough to know they are still in use. They're also a backline favourite from what I gather. My bandmate has one, and if I wasn't band poor I'd have bought the one L&M had for $600 last year on whatever sale it was.

·
Premium Member
4,472 Posts
Besides the obvious weight issue, i really dont need that amount of power on stage with the bands i play in.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
Does the Hot Rod deVille count? If yes then I have one. I don't find it's much better than my Deluxe Reverb at the volumes I play. And, it's damn heavy. Why the hell didn't Fender put carrying straps on both sides of these monsters?

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I don't know if it counts but I have a Super Reverb RI that I love.
I case your wondering, I also have a Blues Junior that sounds great BUT no my friends it will never sound like my Super Reverb.
G.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see them often enough to know they are still in use. They're also a backline favourite from what I gather. My bandmate has one, and if I wasn't band poor I'd have bought the one L&M had for $600 last year on whatever sale it was.
I remember when Fender Twins were the standard backline amp, but it seems like Devilles have been the standard for a while now. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

I'd take a Twin over a Deville any day.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I regularly get riders requesting "no Hotrods". Lately the most requested is #1"Blues Junior", #2 "Deluxe Reverb".

I own a Yamaha G50-210 (version 2) that is very "Twinish".

·
Registered
467 Posts
When I was in TX a couple of months ago with Nugent while he recorded a new CD, he was blending a Twin with a couple of other amps for a few songs.

On one song he was playing just the Twin for rhythm. It was f'n _loud_.

Sounded really good tho.

Lips, from the band Anvil, plays through a Twin. I played my guitar through his rig last year --- it sounded really good. If they weren't so damn heavy and impractical for me, I'd probably have one.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
The venue is telling you what amp to use?
No, the band is. Venues, to my knowledge, do not have riders.

Lips, from the band Anvil, plays through a Twin. I played my guitar through his rig last year --- it sounded really good. If they weren't so damn heavy and impractical for me, I'd probably have one.
Thats a twin? They are a surprisingly quiet band, at least for rehearsals.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts