The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been playing for 22 years, have owned close to 20 basses, and have never owned a Fender (or clone), and have never played a P bass. I haven't played anything other than a 5'er in the last number of years either.

I need to update my sig, as I've sold both my basses and my amp and am awaiting an SX 5 string jazz fretless which I will mod.

At any rate, I went to band practice last night and was to play a P.O.S. Squire jazz special, but my singer brought his 5 year-old MIM P bass for me to use. Other than original strings that were totally pooched, it was set up well.

I can't believe I've always "assumed" the p bass to be too simple, and thus not worth a look. I've always looked to the higher end of the spectrum (2 Warwicks, 2 Fbasses, a Ken Smith, a Zon, MF, 2 Music Mans, Kubicki etc...)

I was blown away with the simplicity and the endless thump. New strings and being more familiar with my new amp would have helped, but I had so much fun last night. I think after I get my jazz 5er, I'm going to throw gig money towards a P bass. :rockon:

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes they are great basses. i've even gone back to using TI Flats on most of my basses. once you find that "p" bass funk you'll be blown away at how the people at Lull, Lakland, Sadowsky, just to name a few, have taken the "p" bass to the next level. same old story, but i wish i had kept my first Fender Precision bass as a kid
(1975 sunburst USA Precision, oh well)... enjoy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
TI's

Hello Bassman Blue..What TI's are you using on the P bass?
I edited a couple of posts on http://www.bgra.net/, which led me to an article on them and they sound pretty cool..Are you using the brighter set?
Not P, but I would be putting them on my current fave bass which is a very old bastardized Tokai Jazz with a fender neck and bartolinis..

adios
Jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
the only TI's i've used are the TI Jazz Flats and the TI Jazz Rounds. The Rounds were too zingy for me, but the Flats are the nicest strings i've used, and i've tried lots of different flats and pressurewounds over the years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I spent over twenty years playing nothing else but my old '62 Pbass. I traded an EV 664-mic plus $100 for it in '67. Although I'm primarily playing other instruments these days (5-string mostly) it hasn't lost it's appeal. Endless thump indeed... and it punches you square in the chest. I alternate between DR rounds or TI Jazz Flats, depending on the project.

One of my favourite studio setups is the Pbass through a BF Showman loaded with two original D-140Fs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
i think i had kept putting off buying a set of TI Flats because they are more expensive... but once i tried them i strung my other basses with them too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts