The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, post some pictures for me. What kind of wood used etc...

My dad is a wood-worker in his retirement, and I put the bug in his ear about maybe building a bass cab for me. He thought it would be a great project.
:banana:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Maybe try the Yorkville site under bass amps. Per type of cab/amp they show a picture but more importantly they describe the materials, type, thickness.
may be a starting point. They make good base components.
cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know of lots of sites with plans and material lists etc... I'm just curious to see some home-made cabs and how they are finished - esp. if anyone has used nice woods for the finish.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
I knocked one together on a weekend for a lark. This one was made from select pine and was supose to have 4 X 10 configuration, but I ran out of money so it's only got a 1 X 12 in it:

I

·
0 Posts
That looks really nice. I recently sold my Mesa 2x12 cab and was thinking I'd build my own 1x12 extension cab for my Koch combo. Of all the pieces in my signal chain the cab seems like the easiest piece to build on my own and get "right". If anyone has any links that detail cab dimensions and sound I'd like to read them. As it stands I was just going to duplicate the depth and height of the 2x12 horizontal Rectifier cab I sold and make it half the width.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Here's the first one I built last november - baltic birch (3/4). I am currently working on another one, it's almost finished, will be looking more vintage, to go with my marshall head. I will post pics. They are both 2x12.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
Here's mine:

Its oak, biscuit jointed on the corners. Baffle is baltic birch. It sounds good but no better than an Avatar, and it cost about the same. Worth it as a fun project, but it doesn't save a lot of cash.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, here'S the second one I just finished building, goes along great with my DSL100, this one sounds a bit more vintage, just like I expected. All made of the finest birch I could find with some pine moldings to make it look "cute".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts