The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a big country but we have a big membership, not all of which lives in big cities.
So, are any of you folks affected by this year's crop of wildfires? Doesn't have to be the victim of property-loss. Could be simply choking back smoke from a distant burn blown out your way. Could be stuck somewhere because a highway is closed.

I'd ask if anyone is fighting such fires, but I gather you'd currently be busy doing that, rather than cruising the forums.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If you live in the BC Interior you are affected. At the least, most days are smokey.

Last weekend, when my family was camping, this was the scene in a neighborhood of Kelowna.

Meanwhile, we were camping on the lake right across from the Okanagan Mountain fires. At night we'd watch the fires the way you look at the stars.

At least the sunsets are pretty.

They say wildfires are getting bigger and hotter.

I live tucked into a neighborhood near the lake, so it is safe for us. Still, you follow the news every day about the fires.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
A couple of nights ago the smoke from Parry Sound area fires drifted all the way across Georgian Bay, enough to make breathing a little difficult between Wiarton and Lion's Head along the Bruce Peninsula. I had to go indoors. It had mostly lifted by the next morning, but the stench was still in the air.
IMG_8844.jpg

In this picture you can kind of see the regular clouds up high and the smoke down along the water. They don't quite stratify. The stench was overpowering for a few hours.

I did some forest fire training when I was a very young man, it's scary shit. I really feel for the folks affected by all this.

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
If you live in the BC Interior you are affected. At the least, most days are smokey.

Last weekend, when my family was camping, this was the scene in a neighborhood of Kelowna.
Amazing photos Mooh. I always feel sad about the people who are affected by these disasters. Hope it rains soon.

Meanwhile, we were camping on the lake right across from the Okanagan Mountain fires. At night we'd watch the fires the way you look at the stars.

I live tucked into a neighborhood near the lake, so it is safe for us. Still, you follow the news every day about the fires.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
The cottage my brother worked on for 25 years is about an hour south of the Parry Sound 33 fire. If things went the wrong way it might be just property loss to you but it would be a deeply-emotional loss for our family. They can smell smoke there occasionally but fortunately odds are currently against the fire coming their way.

·
Premium Member
4,468 Posts
The cottage my brother worked on for 25 years is about an hour south of the Parry Sound 33 fire. If things went the wrong way it might be just property loss to you but it would be a deeply-emotional loss for our family. They can smell smoke there occasionally but fortunately odds are currently against the fire coming their way.
Positive thoughts going out. Hope it all works out

·
Registered
24,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which is precisely why I asked. Easy for the rest of us to look at the news and mutter "Tsk, tsk, that's awful." Quite another for fire to steal one's home or homestead.

Our collective gratitude to the folks who are slugging it out fighting these things. It's a committed bunch. Stay safe, whether you're running from, or running to, the fire.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
It was smokey in Victoria earlier in the week. They said it was from a big fire in Siberia.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
It was smokey in Victoria earlier in the week. They said it was from a big fire in Siberia.
Wow, that is quite a long distance for the smoke to travel. As the crow flies, that has to be around 3000 miles or 5000 KM.

·
Premium Member
13,078 Posts
My daughter lives in south Kelowna so I keep an eye on what is happening. A few days ago she said the one in Lake Okanagan Provincial Park is still going. When winds were coming from the west a couple weeks or so ago, she said the air was like sitting three feet from a campfire. And given that the temperature will go as high 37C next week,... whew!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Wow, that is quite a long distance for the smoke to travel. As the crow flies, that has to be around 3000 miles or 5000 KM.
Crazy eh? Now just think for a moment about the fallout from the nuke tests of the 40’s and 50’s. :(

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Crazy eh? Now just think for a moment about the fallout from the nuke tests of the 40’s and 50’s. :(
Funny you should mention that. I just did some research on that very subject. The thinking by some researchers estimate about 1.5 million cancer deaths due to that fallout so far.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I just did some research on that very subject. The thinking by some researchers estimate about 1.5 million cancer deaths due to that fallout so far.
Ya it’s generally ignored/forgotten about. Very depressing subject. Every time I hear of someone getting cancer “for no reason” I have to wonder.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Dang if Jazzy can't you keep the smoke up your way and with our peat bog fire dang my lungs hurt like crap had to start prednisone and antibiotics so I can breath and they tell us all the fires in Greece and other places is coming over here to and with the valley pushing it all down we could really use some serious rain with no lightning please and thank you

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Dang if Jazzy can't you keep the smoke up your way and with our peat bog fire dang my lungs hurt like crap had to start prednisone and antibiotics so I can breath and they tell us all the fires in Greece and other places is coming over here to and with the valley pushing it all down we could really use some serious rain with no lightning please and thank you
I'd never thought much about lightning before and now it's on the dangers list.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Interesting. A guy I work with was vacationing in Whistler during last years fires and spent a big chunk of the year off on medical because of it. It’s been a year and he’s still on Prednisone.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Yep that smoke can be a very hard thing on some lungs cause you just have much harder time to expel CO2 from them so you never catch up on replacing it with O2 and of course there are the fingers tingling and toes and you end up gulping at the air. That was a bad year last for fires and I can remember being up in Squamish and had to turn back around just so I didn't pass out

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The smoke is pretty bad today, but it all depends on which way the wind is blowing. I heard the stat: 1,500 wildfires in BC so far this year. And on top of that, it might reach 40C in the Interior, today. Me, I'm a winter person :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts