The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just like to find out if anybody has a guitar that is in "retirement". And by that I mean you've stopped gigging with it because maybe it carries a lot of sentimental value as you've owned it over the years and you fear for the guitar's well-being. Or perhaps it has become too fragile to be playing it so regularly? Share your stories, I'd like to hear.

I have an Epihpone Les Paul and have owned it for about four years - it was my second guitar. While it sure isn't the best of best (both in terms of brand and quality :tongue: ), I gigged with it rather extensively, and so it definitely has its fair share of battle scars. I've definitely grown attached to it and I've reached a point where I'd be afraid of getting it damaged any further. I bought a replacement guitar for it, though admittedly I'm having a hard time bonding, so that I may keep the Epi exclusivlely at home. Then again, I also find it cool to be playing a guitar that shows signs of character and age and therefore I'm kind of on the fence as to whether or not I want to permanently retire my axe or really play it until it just can't be played no more. So maybe by hearing some of your own personal tales, I can determine the future of ol' "Steve".

I'll give ya three guesses as to why I gave my guitar its particular name :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I have retired a few, but not because of sentimental value, its because theyve been trashed to the point where I dont think they have much life left............

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My tele might fit that description, it is a 67, the first real guitar I owned when I was younger, seen me through a lot of years of gigging and has been naturally reliced. I use it at home but rarely take it out to a gig or jam. I would have to say it has sentimental value to me, also a good value on the vintage market. Funny thing about the tele is the pickguard. First it was a white one, then a black one, then a black perloid and now I'm thinking of a tortoise shell ??? can never make my mind up.

·
Registered
874 Posts
My Ibanez has sort of been in forced retirement since the Tokai came along.....Just never pick it up anymore.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I see no reason to retire a guitar that's only 4 years old. My Les Paul is 37 and only semi-retired. It was my first "good" guitar and has great sentimental value, but that's no reason to stop gigging it. My main axe is 32 years old. Give your guitar a chance to fulfill it's purpose in life before you condemn it to the closet! :rockon:

·
Registered
652 Posts
I never get that attached to anything made of wood! :banana:

Keep on Rockin' with it or trade it in for the new Lover!:food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I've been trying to retire my Ernie Ball EVH guitar for a couple of years now, because it's been my main player for coming on 15 years now, and I'd like to pass it on to one of my sons when the time comes. However, I've been unable to find something that replaces it. I've had a couple of really nice guitars, but the playability just can't be beat. My only option is to get an Axis, which I can nary afford right now. So the EVH lives on!!!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I have an old Martin Sigma acoustic that I installed an under saddle pickup in to use live. It's stripped down now, and is my campfire guitar...if I ever decide to go camping.

·
Premium Member
2,039 Posts
My 56' Strat is in "semi-retirement". Rarely see's a gig anymore. But still gets massaged in the studio and at home all the time.
I'd actually play it out if wasn't worth so much freakin' dough now. Too bad really. Bought it when I was in grade 11. (1972) and played it at every gig till about 1990. Lots of real wear, but comes by it honestly.

Pete

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I bought in about 1996 that I don't play anymore. That guitar got a tonne of use...too many shows to count, one album, some other studio work...I think that it had a good life. I still have it and couldn't get rid of it but it hasn't been plugged in for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
I have an MIJ Fender Tele 62RI which I used for 10 years. I haven't used it for about 2 years now. So it's pretty much retired now.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Why retire after 4 years.

No offence meant, but you could find another that would be exactly the same without to much work.

They made more than one:smile:

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey guys...
the good thing about retirement....is they can always be brought back from it...
I restrung my 72 telecaster....and brought it it back from retirment...for my eldest daughter...to play on...
she had guitar class in high school...and managed to place first in her class
and win a monetery award for her playing....at the awards assembly...
can you tell I'm proud of her....lol?

Auger

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
elindso said:
Why retire after 4 years.

No offence meant, but you could find another that would be exactly the same without to much work.

They made more than one:smile:
I hear ya, I know I'm probably jumping the gun a bit too early :tongue: I will continue playing it at gigs, though I probably won't go as insane with it and pull a bunch of crazy stunts, therefore assuring that no major accidents will happen when I'm playing it.

Surprisingly, I actually HAVEN'T seen another Epi Les Paul Studio like mine. My studio has gold hardware, white pearl pickguard and TRC, and Trapezoid MOP inlays. All the other Epi studios I've ever encountered have dot inlays.

·
Registered
214 Posts
hey cross..thanks..

I am of the vane that once you own a guitar...you never give it up.....
what ever the reason was I first received a new or used guitar....is always been reason enough for me to keep it for as long as I am alive and kicking...

though some day my kids will score big time...and I hope they treat them as I have....as heirlooms...

I have seen 3 or 4 times recently....on television.....someone smashing a perfectly good guitar....against a wall or grabbing it by the neck and whipping it off into a field or something.....nothing gets to me more than seeing any guitar miss treated....I know its weird... but I get personally offended when I see that....

Auger

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a mid 60s gibson howard roberts that is in semi-retirement. great condition, just old. still pull it out once in a while for studio or practice. I dodnt gig with it anymore because everyone seems to want to touch it when i use it so its basically left at home for my own enjoyment. it sits on a guitar stand on display in my house.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts