The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the Canadian Forces way back in the unified days. Did my Basic in Cornwallis (like almost everyone else), 11 Platoon, Course #7331. Did some time in CFB Kingston and CFB Borden, where I took my Supply Tech course. Eventually posted to 25 CFSD, Montreal. got out in '76, around Olympics time. Seems like a lifetime ago now (which it was), but now all that's left are the good memories, and even those are starting to fade.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm not ex-cf but I do have connection to it. I was a military brat and two of my brothers are/were in the military.

I run a (non-profit) CAMPVets (Canadian Association of Military Police Veterans) with one of my older brothers (www.campvets.ca).

My Grandfather was killed in France in WWII shortly after he was transfered to the South Alberta Tank Regiment (from the Halifax Riffels).

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm not ex-cf but I do have connection to it. I was a military brat and two of my brothers are/were in the military.

I run a (non-profit) CAMPVets (Canadian Association of Military Police Veterans) with one of my older brothers (www.campvets.ca).

My Grandfather was killed in France in WWII shortly after he was transfered to the South Alberta Tank Regiment (from the Halifax Riffels).
My hat is off to you and your family,...specially your grandpa...

·
Premium Member
16,797 Posts
Not CF myself, but another airforce brat. I grew up at CFB Chatham, NB. My dad was an aeroengine tech. I have great memories of growing up in the PMQs.:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Ex reg. force infantryman here. Did my basic in Cornwallis in '85 (8572), Battle School in Petawawa and stationed with 2nd Battallion Royal Canadian Regiment in Gagetown, NB. Long time ago now.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
my son is in the reserves right now, when he finishes university (this is his last year), he's going reg force.

·
Registered
183 Posts
not CF but work for a defence contractor located on base at CFB Trenton. Always had respect for the CF but have a new found respect and admiration after working with the guys/gals.:smilie_flagge17:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cornwallis 1969

Course 6925 Fraser Barracks. Got a discharge 6 mos. later from CFB Clinton Radar and Communications School. While I was at Cornwallis, I saw a band at the Social Center called "Purple Haze" with a guitar player named Bubs. Every musician I've every met from the East coast since, knew Bubs. I think he was originally from Truro,and last I heard, he'd passed. If anyone could give me more info on Bubs, I'd appreciate it, he was one of the best players I've ever seen.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Course 6925 Fraser Barracks. Got a discharge 6 mos. later from CFB Clinton Radar and Communications School. While I was at Cornwallis, I saw a band at the Social Center called "Purple Haze" with a guitar player named Bubs. Every musician I've every met from the East coast since, knew Bubs. I think he was originally from Truro,and last I heard, he'd passed. If anyone could give me more info on Bubs, I'd appreciate it, he was one of the best players I've ever seen.

I remember when we got our first passes to go out drinking during basic at Cornwallis. Think it was week 4 or so. I think the only place we were allowed to go was the 'Green & Gold'. It was a much, much different army back then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember when we got our first passes to go out drinking during basic at Cornwallis. Think it was week 4 or so. I think the only place we were allowed to go was the 'Green & Gold'. It was a much, much different army back then.
Yeah, I remember drinking Moosehead beer and checking out the girl recruits at the G&G. There weren't too many good-looking ones back then. I wonder if things have improved in that department?

Does anybody remember Duty Week? I was assigned "great" duty. Me and a couple of other guys got to sweep the Drill Hall for a week straight! Unfortunately I still remember it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wets

IIRC in 69,about week 4 we were allowed to go to the wet canteen for beer, but the card that allowed you entry to the Social Center was confiscated at the bar for the evening so ya couldn't get juiced up and then hit the Social Center. Also, I think the ratio of male to female recruits was about 3 or 4 to 1. The ladies were all good looking by about week 8.
BTW, you get 30 guys out for their first legal drink, visualize a barracks awash in puke.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Can this be done?

I've always wondered if there are logistics available to make this idea possible:

Donating beer to our troops!

If I went down to the James Street Armories here in Hamilton with a case of beer, could they arrange to send it to Afghanistan?

If a LOT of us showed our appreciation with a case of beer, could our system deliver it?

Maybe someone currently active could advise...

L

·
0 Posts
I not a CF'er, but I am proud of all
our Ladies and Gentlemen (past and present)
serving for our freedom. Thought I'd share
a coupla' pic's that came my way. This bird
is currently flying in Afghanistan.

My (and many other's) thoughts are with you.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I don't know about beer (it's wotha shot I guess), but I know that there is a group of guys that periodically are looking for stuff to send over. The last one I heard of was chocolate.

I've always wondered if there are logistics available to make this idea possible:

Donating beer to our troops!

If I went down to the James Street Armories here in Hamilton with a case of beer, could they arrange to send it to Afghanistan?

If a LOT of us showed our appreciation with a case of beer, could our system deliver it?

Maybe someone currently active could advise...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts

Oh, I know. I felt like a schmuck for having doubled my weekly workout sessions 6 months before signing up. I grew up hearing my dad's stories about being dropped in the middle of nowhere with a compass, a map, and a cup of stale rice for sustenance (he joined a few years after the Korean War).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts