Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
I have a Reignmaker and a Maverick in my 212 Garnet Session Man.

I got the Reignmaker several years ago. Loved it in my 1976 YGM3, but had to move it into the Garnet. I like them best set in the middle. The goal is to get a ohm switch installed in the Garnet, instead of the cheap screw and wire setting for speaker ohms. That way I could use just one, or both of the FDM speakers easily, by wiring an input plug and wire to each speaker, using the existing speaker outputs. Just plug in the speaker(s) you want to use, set the ohm switch.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Reignmaker and a Maverick in my 212 Garnet Session Man.

I got the Reignmaker several years ago. Loved it in my 1976 YGM3, but had to move it into the Garnet. I like them best set in the middle. The goal is to get a ohm switch installed in the Garnet, instead of the cheap screw and wire setting for speaker ohms. That way I could use just one, or both of the FDM speakers easily, by wiring an input plug and wire to each speaker, using the existing speaker outputs. Just plug in the speaker(s) you want to use, set the ohm switch.
Would you compare them to anything else or are they a thing all their own?

·
Premium Member
10,950 Posts
I've used the Reignmaker in a couple of amps. It's cool, does what it's supposed to do, but I don't prefer its tone.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
I also have both, in separate cabs. Do not expect bedroom level attenuation. But they are nice for easing up on the intensity of an aggressive amp. I also find them somewhat darker, or bassier compared to others. So they work great with some amps, not so much with others. I love having the option to attenuate, so I never put them in a closed back cab.

·
Premium Member
1,354 Posts
Would you compare them to anything else or are they a thing all their own?
I have the most experience with the Reignmaker as a single speaker. It is a British tone that I can easily accept. Yes, I used it to turn down some unwanted decibels at first, but in doing so, I found sweet spots of tone, grit, and spit that was readily noticeable with certain amps.

I tried a 212 Closed back, Greenback cab in the extension input of my YGM3, and the Reignmaker in the combo cab. I swear that identical dbs and tone could be dialed in with the big knob. I pulled the extension cab cable several times to verify.

Originally, I had it mounted in an open back cab. I believe that particular cab did not do it any justice. However, the amps that showed promise as an extension cab, did shine when used in a well designed combo amp.

The Maverick as advertised sounds American, like something that should work in a Fender.

The Garnet cab that houses my Session Man has flimsy, thin Masonite type back boards that I believe do little to enhance sound quality. I doubled up the two back panels on the bottom, leaving the upper back open, and gave the combo cab more air to breathe. It does sound better but nothing like other large combo cabs that have thick, strong, more closed up backs.

I have also struggled to consistently set the tone stack for driven tone. I believe that I finally have a better understanding of the hifi stereo type of tone stack that Gar used on these amps.

I want to design and make a thicker, stronger, back for the amp that either has two round access holes for the FDM knobs, or a smaller single opening that is more of a tuned port with easy access to the knobs.

I also have way to many amps to have daily repetition and use of the Garnet alone.
It is a work in progress that I am trying to tailor for home studio use.

I am not sure that this fully answers how good I believe the potential can be with the right cab and amp.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
I put a Maverick in my DRRI. It suits the amp really well and takes it last step or two.

Being a NMV amp, it is sometimes hard to dial it into the room. I think the amp sounds best starting at around 4 on the volume knobs (especially the 'tremolo' channel, as I didn't remove the bright cap). With 9 dB of attenuation available, that takes a 22 watt amp down to the realm of around 3 watts @ full attenuation. So that gives me a nice wide range of level for the amp for various rooms and gigs. I also found that if the tone changed much with added attenuation, it wasn't changing in an unpleasant way. And I find I can compensate with a little EQ tweeking.

While I use my PowerStation for most of my attenuation needs, I find it is a good match for that amp, IME. Much more 'grab and go' when I don't have to hall the PS around, too.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I had a Reignmaker in an open-back 1x12, as well as in my YGM2. It sounds good, but like others mentioned, as you attenuate, it changes the tone somewhat. Nothing that can't be compensated-for with a slight knob-twiddle on the amp, but it does mean that you'll have to adjust amp setting as you fiddle with it.

Also, as others mentioned, the attentuation is NOT significant. It'll take a little bit off a roaring amp, but my JTM45 and YGM2 were still PLENTY loud with the Reignmaker. It's more for reigning-in stage volume a bit that it is for home/bedroom playing.

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts
Also, as others mentioned, the attentuation is NOT significant. It'll take a little bit off a roaring amp, but my JTM45 and YGM2 were still PLENTY loud with the Reignmaker. It's more for reigning-in stage volume a bit that it is for home/bedroom playing.
Yes, but that is quite dependent on the amp itself. My 22 watt DRRI gets down to OK home levels, cranked with full attenuation. Still a bit loud, but reasonable (less than a 5 watt amp cranked). If you were to use one on a 5 watt amp, you would effectively reduce that to less than 1 watt. But a 50 watt amp's still gonna be pretty loud, even with a drop of 9 dB.

The efficiency spec (@1w*1m) for the speaker is 100 dB (no atten) to 91 dB (full atten). A low efficiency speaker will give the same result but isn't adjustable. The price of these made them worthy of a trial. I'm glad I tried it. I'd buy another if I had another open-back cabinet that could use it.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Yes, but that is quite dependent on the amp itself. My 22 watt DRRI gets down to OK home levels, cranked with full attenuation. Still a bit loud, but reasonable (less than a 5 watt amp cranked). If you were to use one on a 5 watt amp, you would effectively reduce that to less than 1 watt. But a 50 watt amp's still gonna be pretty loud, even with a drop of 9 dB.

The efficiency spec (@1w*1m) for the speaker is 100 dB (no atten) to 91 dB (full atten). A low efficiency speaker will give the same result but isn't adjustable. The price of these made them worthy of a trial. I'm glad I tried it. I'd buy another if I had another open-back cabinet that could use it.
I guess it depends what you consider "home volume." My 22 watt YGM2 and 35 watt JTM45 were both WAY too loud at full attenuation at anywhere near half-way up, nevermind fully cranked. I had a Vox AC4TV for a while, and at 4 watts, cranked all the way up, it was definitely loud.

I guess I'm the only guitarist in the world who doesn't play all that loud? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I guess it depends what you consider "home volume." My 22 watt YGM2 and 35 watt JTM45 were both WAY too loud at full attenuation at anywhere near half-way up, nevermind fully cranked. I had a Vox AC4TV for a while, and at 4 watts, cranked all the way up, it was definitely loud.

I guess I'm the only guitarist in the world who doesn't play all that loud? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I play louder at home than I do on stage. My Super Reverb is on 3-4 on stage, and 6-10 at home

·
Premium Member
11,867 Posts

Absolutely. I would only consider a 5 watt amp good for "home volume" if you live in a detached house, without neighbors 10 feet away. And not having a sleeping baby in the next room is definitely a plus. I'm lucky I can play a bit loud at home, although I don't very often - mostly for testing things. So the DRRI cranked with a 91 dB speaker is in that range of 'loud, but not knocking the pictures down'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts