3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of "rolling my own"

anyone here put one together yet? got any pics? if so, would love to see them

thx!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I haven't done a strat but I did an ash tele a couple of years ago, still have it. I spent about 3 months gathering parts. Several body makers on the net as you probably know. Some good companies to deal with are Allparts, a lot of their necks and bodies come from Japan I believe. guitarpartsresource.com is another great source for parts. The necks from Allparts have the vintage tint and the frets appear to be a little tougher than the ones on Fender guitars. Just my opinion here, I had a Standard Tele and wore some divits in the frets after 6 months. My son and I have been playing the Allparts neck for over two years now and no wear on the frets yet. The finish on the Allparts bodies and neck are excellent. Some good dealers on ebay are reliablefender, n.aalox(sp?). I got my pickups from Kinman but there are plenty more great manufacturers to choose from. The only problem I had with my build was the neck pocket on the body. Allparts didn't cut the pocket deep enough, the machine shop instructor at the university cut it on a cnc and I had it fine tuned by a luthier in Halifax. I was told that this is not an uncommon occurance. Anyway I ended up with the exact guitar I wanted, total build cost was a little over $1000.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've put one together by using ebay, took a while to get the parts I wanted but it was worth it. The body is a US ash 70's reissue and the neck is a 72 reissue from japan. I like the Japanese necks. The pickups are custom shop 69's and the pots are cts with switchcraft 5 pos switch. It turned out well, I am just putting the final dressing on it now. If you are on ebay keep an eye on an online store called the Stratosphere, good to deal with and if your lucky, which I have been, you can get some good prices on there auctions. Fast Delivery by USPS and no extra charges.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I've built some stratish style guitars. I think you've seen them on the other forum. They all look pretty much like this.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice!!

thx for the tips :wave:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Were you thinking of putting one together from parts, a kit or making it from scratch. The last is the cheapest and most rewarding. You know I'd be glad to give you a hand to get you going if you are up to a two hour road trip.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Beautiful !!!!! :bow: I agree with you lowtones the most satisfaction would come from building from scratch. I am working my way up by assembling pieces and hacking at cheap guitars just to try things out and get my woodworking skills up to par. Eventually I will take the leap and build my own.

·
Registered
644 Posts
PaulS said:
Beautiful !!!!! :bow: I agree with you lowtones the most satisfaction would come from building from scratch. I am working my way up by assembling pieces and hacking at cheap guitars just to try things out and get my woodworking skills up to par. Eventually I will take the leap and build my own.
Why thankyou Sir. Don't wait too long as nothing is going to change. if you have access to band saw, router,drill and a few hand tools that's all you really need. All of the shaping on my guitars is done with a wood rasp and sandpaper. Mind you if you are planning to make your own fretboard you will need a few more items. I can help you out with that.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was going to buy a neck + body, I doubt I will have time to build from scratch

those are great looking gtrs !! :rockon2: :rockon2:

·
Registered
141 Posts
bolero said:
I was going to buy a neck + body, I doubt I will have time to build from scratch
Same. As I posted in the other thread, I havnt all the time in the world to do most things I want to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts