The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not in the serious hunt phase but might as well do some research. Experiences welcome!

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I wanted to but went new. One thing I've learned from friends that bought used is they usually need some love once you go used and the tub is older. If you buy something common or local and parts are available and you're handy, maintenance is easy as everything is pretty much plug and play on these things. Biggest thing I found in shopping for used is who and how the previous owner took care of things. Some people are lazy and some are gross, don't buy those tubs.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks vadsy.

·
Premium Member
5,326 Posts
I bought an un-used factory second with a repaired crack on top lip. That was 20 years ago, the repair was a good one. The crack has never moved. From what I remember it was quite a saving.

Like Vadsy said, buying used would be all about the previous owner. You let them mold or something, I don't think you'll ever get that out.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Lincoln good idea! I wonder how often factory seconds come up.

·
Registered
14,125 Posts
A friend bought a used one, complete with surround. Had to dismantle it and assemble it.....the tube made it in one piece, the Redwood surround, deck, what ever you call it didn't and had to be replaced. It had been sitting for a while so the tub itself needed a good cleaning. Scrubbing everything down and then running chemicals thru for a week or so. A quick check online here shows there are dealers who take tubs in on trade, check them out and refurbish them and then will probably deliver and set them up at, "very large discounts" same with factory damaged ones.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Search for a reliable one. Parts are expensive and depending on the manufacturer, can be prone to premature failure...the Canadian outdoors conditions are hostile to hot tubs. Indoors will require extra precautions, to accommodate. Consider environmental friendly energy for power...they can consume a lot of energy for the large ones, especially if you are maintaining an operating temperature of 105F.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I've assessed a few for friends and more often than not they weren't worth the money or effort to refurb them.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
I wanted to but went new. One thing I've learned from friends that bought used is they usually need some love once you go used and the tub is older. If you buy something common or local and parts are available and you're handy, maintenance is easy as everything is pretty much plug and play on these things. Biggest thing I found in shopping for used is who and how the previous owner took care of things. Some people are lazy and some are gross, don't buy those tubs.
Can't wait for the HCD post!

Happy Chlamydia Day

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
I have seen hot tubs for free on Facebook Market.

I would want to replace all the hoses with new ones. How would you know what would be growing in them?

The cost to run a hot tube is high.

·
Premium Member
4,304 Posts
I had one for 4 yrs. loved it. The ones with the insulation outside the pipes a and the motor are the most efficient as the tub benefits from the radiant heat from the motor.

even if there are fewer jets, the hot water and circulation are a tremendous health benefit.

·
Premium Member
17,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was a kid we used to change our underwear every two days. I used to change with my brother Marc. Marc use to change with our other brother Derek.
Hahahaha!

Not sure it'll be a this year thing but I do see one in our future. Thanks everyone for the pointers!

Reactions: zdogma

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Be aware of salt/bromine water treatment systems. It seems they are being phased out in Canada. We have one and it works great very easy to maintain but apparently the chemicals are in short supply.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
We bought a used refurbished tub from artic spa. Directly through them. New pump and heater. Still going strong 6 years later

·
Premium Member
10,076 Posts
taking a step back, make sure it’s something you will actually enjoy...a few years back, we tried one at a ski resort in QC in the dead of winter...-15deg....hated it. The feeling of being nice and cosy warm from the neck down, but freezing icicles on our heads and faces, was something my family decided we dont enjoy even a little.

that said, our pool guy said he sold a crazy amount of them this year. their showroom was empty in the fall as even the displays were taken. Might be hard to find new ones, Covid effect is nuts. The concrete patio we did this summer, a 2 week job, took almost 4 months...just finished this week. Trades cant handle the demand.

Reactions: Budda
1 - 20 of 50 Posts