The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here play an SX, Agile or Douglas from Rondo?

It's no secret I've been bitten by the SX bug. 4 since May, and now my guitarist is thinking he should pick up a cheapie to mod to his liking.

Does anyone have experience with SX, Agile or Douglas guitars? Perhaps some of these models are decent right out of the box?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi James

Pm traynor_garnet, He has bought several Guitars from Rondo, Review's on the net suggest they are the best buy for the buck. Rondo does not inspect or set up any of his guitars... they ship from China to the U.S to your house, but you can return with no questions asked. It's a roll of the dice....
My only problem with Cross Border shopping is the Duty, and shipping expense,and returning a guitar that your not happy with can be expensive.
The price will be very close to other Lower cost guitars sold in Canada, such as Dot On Shaft.. etc
I emailed Rondo on the Al 2000 and as it works out, a 199.00 U.S Guitar will cost me $323.00 Canadian currency plus Brokerage fees, expect around $50 for that because it shipped through UPS. :confused-smiley-010
go to the Rondo site, select the guitar you like and fill in the shipping info, you can see what it will cost except for the Brokerage fee...
ask a few questions on the Agile guitar forums they have a few canadians that might help you.
Keep us updated on your selection and experience with Rondo...

:rockon:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2005fz1 said:
Hi James

Pm traynor_garnet, He has bought several Guitars from Rondo, Review's on the net suggest they are the best buy for the buck. Rondo does not inspect or set up any of his guitars... they ship from China to the U.S to your house, but you can return with no questions asked. It's a roll of the dice....
My only problem with Cross Border shopping is the Duty, and shipping expense,and returning a guitar that your not happy with can be expensive.
The price will be very close to other Lower cost guitars sold in Canada, such as Dot On Shaft.. etc
I emailed Rondo on the Al 2000 and as it works out, a 199.00 U.S Guitar will cost me $323.00 Canadian currency plus Brokerage fees, expect around $50 for that because it shipped through UPS. :confused-smiley-010
go to the Rondo site, select the guitar you like and fill in the shipping info, you can see what it will cost except for the Brokerage fee...
ask a few questions on the Agile guitar forums they have a few canadians that might help you.
Keep us updated on your selection and experience with Rondo...

:rockon:

Thanks for the help, but I'm quite familiar with Rondo myself - I'm after info on how the guitars stack up. I've purchased 4 SX basses from Rondo this year already. They ship FedEx to Canada and all fees are right there on the online invoice with Rondo. No other fees or surprises except converting to Canadian funds.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
james, I have heard the Agile guitars are all pretty consistent quality wise. It's their 'top' brand. I have heard the SX guitars are a total crap shoot though, and at a minimum requires a ton of setup work. I know several people on other forums who have had to return SX guitars because of major problems with necks, fret work, finish etc. I rarely here any situations like that with that Agiles though.

I don't know much about the Douglas stuff at all.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have owned 6 Agiles guitars and they are great! I still own an AS-820 (335 style) and a Cool Cat Prestige (full hollowbody with ebony fretboard). I just sold my AL-2000 to a fellow forum member and he is eagerly waiting for his new toy :)

It seems that the SX line and others are much lower quality and hit or miss. All of my Agiles have been good and basically only needed a slight trust rod adjustment like any guitar would.

The pickups are decent and don't "need" to be upgraded. That said, I upgraded my AS-820 with SD 59s and a complete upgrade kit from RS Guitar Works. WOW!! This guitar sounds amazing, but of course it is no longer a cheap guitar . . .

The only Agile I bought new was the Les Paul copy I just sold. All the others I bought used off of ebay. Rondo charges over $100 US to ship and clear customs. Much better to buy off of ebay, avoid custom charges (get it shipped USPS), AND you can actually see the guitar you are buying (Rondo just has stock photos). I have seen some really poorly matched tops on a few Agiles and it makes me hesitant to buy directly from the store . . .

Are they as good as Gibsons and Fenders? Well . . . no. At least, out of the box they cannot compete simply because of the electronics. With a few upgrades though, wow! You get a really good guitar for very little money. Makes you realize just how much you really do pay for the Fender or Gibson name (especially the later). They have minor finish flaws etc that you find on any inexpensive guitar, but these are best thought of as "inexpensive" NOT "cheap." I'm 35 and when I first started playing in the 80s low end guitars sucked big time ("cheap").

People knock Agiles but I can remember back in the 80s when Tokai's sucked and nobody wanted them. Now people go nuts for them and talk about their quality. It could happen again . . .

TG

2005fz1 said:
Hi James

Pm traynor_garnet, He has bought several Guitars from Rondo, Review's on the net suggest they are the best buy for the buck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got the Agile ST-802 last Xmas, and I'm still loving it.

It blows any MIM Fender out of the water. The pups suck but for $259.99 USD I didn't really expect the electronics to be that great. So, I replaced all the elctronics, and got some tex-mex pups, and she's a great player now. I just recently installed a superstrat wiring kit from GFS, (3 on/off/on toggle switches) and it's soo damn versatile now that I never get bored playing it.

The body is a 2 piece alder over a figured alder top, which looks great, and the finish is really durable, really hard to gouge this thing, not that I've tried, but I do get the occasional bump. It stays in tune even with heavy trem use (once I got the nut filed properly, and put some roller string trees) the bridge is a 2 point knife edged Wilkinson that's smooth as silk. The color of the neck is a little pale but I'm not too turned off by aesthetics... I prefer the look of old beaten up guitars anyways... How it plays is #1 for me, aesthetics aren't really inportant as long as it's nice. And the neck is no boat, but it's no wizard... I think it's a little bigger than the MIM's, a nice C shape I believe, and it feels great.

In conclusion, it's a solid guitar, and I would definately reccomend getting one to mod.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey James, I ordered an SX bass and one of them SX Jaguar-type guitars from Rondo. The price after taxes, shipping, duty, conversion, etc. was about double the equivalent USD amount (i.e., the $130 USD SX bass worked out to around $250 CAD).

The SX guitars really are pieces of crap (frets bevelled to agressively, misc. buzzes/rattles/etc. Used MIM Fenders are MUCH better values.

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
There is one important note when it comes to their customer service. In the US if you don't like the guitar, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to ship it back. By the time we pay the crazy shipping costs to get the guitar here (as mentioned $80-100), and the costs to mail it back if we don't like it, we'd likely pay almost as much in shipping as we would for the guitar.

I bought one SX bass, and while I was happy with the product I had a couple of issues with their customer service. When you pay online, the quote you are getting is for UPS. But when they actually ship the item, it's sent Fedex. It's not a huge difference, but Fedex's international rates are slightly cheaper then UPS's. I was kinda p.o.'d about that and emailed them, and they basically didn't care. It's misleading information.

The second part of that tale was Fedex took 3 weeks to get it here!!! So I paid over $80 in shipping and fees, on a delivery method that took 3 weeks!

And lastly, while the bass was pretty good, the wood was pretty mismatched in it. It was a sunburst finish so it showed through. I know ALL their guitars/basses are not like this though. I have seen a lot of the SX's even that are very well matched.

So I would definitely have to agree that you are better off NOT buying the product directly from Rondo.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
torndownunit said:
There is one important note when it comes to their customer service. In the US if you don't like the guitar, it's a heck of a lot cheaper to ship it back. By the time we pay the crazy shipping costs to get the guitar here (as mentioned $80-100), and the costs to mail it back if we don't like it, we'd likely pay almost as much in shipping as we would for the guitar.

I bought one SX bass, and while I was happy with the product I had a couple of issues with their customer service. When you pay online, the quote you are getting is for UPS. But when they actually ship the item, it's sent Fedex. It's not a huge difference, but Fedex's international rates are slightly cheaper then UPS's. I was kinda p.o.'d about that and emailed them, and they basically didn't care. It's misleading information.

The second part of that tale was Fedex took 3 weeks to get it here!!! So I paid over $80 in shipping and fees, on a delivery method that took 3 weeks!

And lastly, while the bass was pretty good, the wood was pretty mismatched in it. It was a sunburst finish so it showed through. I know ALL their guitars/basses are not like this though. I have seen a lot of the SX's even that are very well matched.

So I would definitely have to agree that you are better off NOT buying the product directly from Rondo.
Hmmm. I must have gotten lucky then. I've purchased 4 SX basses from Rondo since May and have not noticed any serious quality or wood issues on mine. 2 of them were sunburst. All of my basses have arrived at my door within 5 days of ordering as well.

I think I will advise my guitarist to stay clear of the SX and get try an Agile or something.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts