The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about Agile, Raven West and a few others that escape my mind at this time.

There are some fairly decent reviews over at Harmony-Central and being a lefty who can't afford a $2000 guitar I'm kinda curious.

I prefer buying used when I can but a PRS knockoff at under $300 bucks is a little interesting.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Do a search for Agile here. I currently have two (a 335 and a Hollowbody) and they are amazing guitars for the money. I put SD 59s and an RS Guitarworks complete electronics upgrade in my 335 and it smokes!

I've owned an Agile LP, SG, DC and they were all pretty good.

TG

·
Registered
377 Posts
yeah i've heard good money/quality facts about Agiles also. I'ver never played one, but people seem to keep them, even if they're not top of the market quality.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
+1 for Agiles. I have one of their early Goldtops... very nice guitar. Got it used from a fellow on this forum and it was a steal of a deal. Fantastic workmanship.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi,

I have a cheapo Ebay guitar and it's super (strat knockoff, not a hollowbody). Just needs Seymour Duncan pickups though :wink:

Cheers!

·
Registered
133 Posts
i got a $50 first act guitar for a pal last year for a x-mas,

it needed a $200 set-up and fret dressing....

no bargain.

my other buddy bought a s.x. bass and it is a piece of garbage,
the neck creeks and rocks even with 6 screws holding it down,the pickups are microphonic,the frest dig into yer hand on the neck's edges,it's crap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard the SX guitars and Agile guitars are completely different in terms of quality - the SX guitars usually being pretty bad and the Agiles being much much better. No idea if there is any truth behind it, though. I'd like to try one out myself but once you tack on shipping and taxes those cheap guitars aren't so cheap anymore for us Canadians.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Yes, the agiles are a major leap above the SX stuff (Sx is made in China too).

Grab a used Agile on ebay and get it shipped USPS. It really saves a ton of a new one.

TG

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I dunno about SX guitars, but SX basses are generally known to be pretty kickass and an amazing value for the price
I have to agree. I bought an SX Fretless Jazz bass and for less than $200 all in it's a pretty damn good deal! The weak point on these guitars is the electronics. Even then, the one I have is OK in that sense but I could see upgrading it down the road. Fit and finish on my bass is perfect. I can't comment on how well they do fret work though! :smile:
Bottom line for me is for a budget guitar it's one of the better ones I've seen.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...I just bought my 3rd guitar from Rondo this month (that's 3 in 1 month! :banana:)

This one was their semi-hollow Tele.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product793.html

Next up is a Gold Top w\P90's and an Amber PS900, unless Reverend gets off their asses and finally builds some lefties. There are rumors over at Reverend that early this spring we will finally see some lefties...

·
Registered
885 Posts
...I just bought my 3rd guitar from Rondo this month (that's 3 in 1 month! :banana:)

This one was their semi-hollow Tele.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product793.html

Next up is a Gold Top w\P90's and an Amber PS900, unless Reverend gets off their asses and finally builds some lefties. There are rumors over at Reverend that early this spring we will finally see some lefties...
What are the other two guitars you bought from Rondo? I'm thinking of getting an SX-STL50 as a project guitar.

Lawrie

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are the other two guitars you bought from Rondo? I'm thinking of getting an SX-STL50 as a project guitar.

Lawrie

The other two are a blemished (I see no blemish) cutaway classical with German made electronics for $80 and a $99 SX bass which I still have torn apart because I'm too lazy to do the work to get my Alembic pickups in there.

One side note on the Tele, I find it's great for lead work but I've personally realized I need a wider nut\fingerboard so I'm saving for a Warmoth build...

·
Registered
885 Posts
The other two are a blemished (I see no blemish) cutaway classical with German made electronics for $80 and a $99 SX bass which I still have torn apart because I'm too lazy to do the work to get my Alembic pickups in there.

One side note on the Tele, I find it's great for lead work but I've personally realized I need a wider nut\fingerboard so I'm saving for a Warmoth build...
Thanks for the reply. An STL-50 looks like it's going to cost me around $150 shipped. Ironically, I found one for sale this morning with some mods on the Toronto Craigslist for $160. I'm waiting to see if the guitar is still available for the post is a couple of weeks old. I hope it is for it will give me the rare opportunity to play one rather than buying it sight unseen.

I've love my basses from Rondo, but never bought a guitar from them.

Lawrie

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
I don't think SX are bad quality at all for the money. It's just that the Agile's are also a great product for the money. Any of the Rondo instruments are a good value.

I was looking at products on there the other day, and I don't know if I am just imagining it, but I swear their shipping rates to Canada have dropped. I thought they used to be about $20 more?

Anyway, I had been waiting for awhile for them to get these back in stock, and I had to give in and get one:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1691.html

$160 with shipping. Hard to beat that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts